Old 12-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Robert Millan

Default The firmware GR

Hi,

I don't think d-d-a is meant to be used as a forum, but since others are
doing so, I guess it's fine if I join.

> With these hopefully solid plans in place for the release, we feel the
> need to acknowledge that there is an ongoing vote whose outcome could
> potentially disrupt them.

Luk is referring to 11 bugs in linux-2.6 which all have a 'patch' tag, and
which the maintainers have been ignoring so far. Option 1 wouldn't cause any
"disruption" to the release process, other than moving support for these chips
to non-free when the patches are applied. Any other delay is self-imposed.

http://bugs.debian.org/494007
http://bugs.debian.org/494009
http://bugs.debian.org/494010
http://bugs.debian.org/494308
http://bugs.debian.org/501152
http://bugs.debian.org/501153
http://bugs.debian.org/502663
http://bugs.debian.org/502665
http://bugs.debian.org/502666
http://bugs.debian.org/502667
http://bugs.debian.org/502669

I hope this helps everyone pick the options they feel most comfortable with.

Sincerely,

--
Robert Millan

Old 12-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Robert Millan <rmh@aybabtu.com> (15/12/2008):
> I don't think d-d-a is meant to be used as a forum, but since others
> are doing so, I guess it's fine if I join.

Thankfully, replies to mail sent to dda@ land in dd@. You fail.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Romain Beauxis

Le Monday 15 December 2008 10:36:50 Robert Millan, vous avez crit*:
> > With these hopefully solid plans in place for the release, we feel the
> > need to acknowledge that there is an ongoing vote whose outcome could
> > potentially disrupt them.
>
> Luk is referring to 11 bugs in linux-2.6 which all have a 'patch' tag, and
> which the maintainers have been ignoring so far. *Option 1 wouldn't cause
> any "disruption" to the release process, other than moving support for
> these chips to non-free when the patches are applied. *Any other delay is
> self-imposed.

Unfortunately you forgot to also mention this bug for instance:

http://bugs.debian.org/494120

Romain

Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Ben Finney

Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> writes:

> Unfortunately you forgot to also mention this bug for instance:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/494120

Which has been prematurely archived on 2008-08-15 while in
mid-discussion, by one party in that discussion.

--
“There are no significant bugs in our released software that |
` any significant number of users want fixed.” —Bill Gates, |

Old 12-15-2008, 02:06 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:36 +0100, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think d-d-a is meant to be used as a forum, but since others are
> doing so, I guess it's fine if I join.
>
> > With these hopefully solid plans in place for the release, we feel the
> > need to acknowledge that there is an ongoing vote whose outcome could
> > potentially disrupt them.
>
> Luk is referring to 11 bugs in linux-2.6 which all have a 'patch' tag, and
> which the maintainers have been ignoring so far.
[...]

This is partly because they've had very little testing. Some of the
testing showed serious bugs, which I believe I have now fixed, but
others may well still be present.

Again, for anyone who wants to test the latest versions of these patches
(which I have not mailed individually to the bugs, sorry), see
http://people.debian.org/~benh/firmware-removal/

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of incompetence.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 10:54 +0100, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> Le Monday 15 December 2008 10:36:50 Robert Millan, vous avez crit :
> > > With these hopefully solid plans in place for the release, we feel the
> > > need to acknowledge that there is an ongoing vote whose outcome could
> > > potentially disrupt them.
> >
> > Luk is referring to 11 bugs in linux-2.6 which all have a 'patch' tag, and
> > which the maintainers have been ignoring so far. Option 1 wouldn't cause
> > any "disruption" to the release process, other than moving support for
> > these chips to non-free when the patches are applied. Any other delay is
> > self-imposed.
>
> Unfortunately you forgot to also mention this bug for instance:
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/494120

There's no reason to think that the array in question is not the
preferred form for modification.

Ben.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:36:50AM +0100, Robert Millan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think d-d-a is meant to be used as a forum, but since others are
> doing so, I guess it's fine if I join.
>
> > With these hopefully solid plans in place for the release, we feel the
> > need to acknowledge that there is an ongoing vote whose outcome could
> > potentially disrupt them.
>
> Luk is referring to 11 bugs in linux-2.6 which all have a 'patch' tag, and
> which the maintainers have been ignoring so far. Option 1 wouldn't cause any
> "disruption" to the release process, other than moving support for these chips
> to non-free when the patches are applied. Any other delay is self-imposed.
>
> http://bugs.debian.org/494007
> http://bugs.debian.org/494009
> http://bugs.debian.org/494010
> http://bugs.debian.org/494308
> http://bugs.debian.org/501152
> http://bugs.debian.org/501153
> http://bugs.debian.org/502663
> http://bugs.debian.org/502665
> http://bugs.debian.org/502666
> http://bugs.debian.org/502667
> http://bugs.debian.org/502669
>
> I hope this helps everyone pick the options they feel most comfortable with.

There are currently 31 bugs marked lenny-ignore. As I understand things,
if option 1 makes it all those 31 need to be fixed before we can release
lenny.

Here is the list of bugs and the packages:
211765 | xorg-server
368559 | x11proto-gl
368564 | xorg-server
382175 | glibc
383465 | xserver-xorg-video-nv
391935 | xen-3
424957 | portmap
445507 | mklibs
459705 | pike7.6
477060 | texlive-base
477751 | sgml-base
483217 | texlive-base
488895 | lucene2
491354 | texlive-extra
492699 | fakeroot
494007 | linux-2.6
494009 | linux-2.6
494010 | linux-2.6
494308 | linux-2.6
495256 | cacao-oj6
498475 | net-snmp
498476 | libsmi
498631 | linux-2.6
501152 | linux-2.6
501153 | linux-2.6
502663 | linux-2.6
502665 | linux-2.6
502666 | linux-2.6
502667 | linux-2.6
502668 | linux-2.6
502669 | linux-2.6

Note that 2 of them (488895 - lucene2, 495256 - cacao-oj6) have been
fixed in unstable but not in lenny.

Kurt

Old 12-16-2008, 04:12 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 4:21 AM, Kurt Roeckx <kurt@roeckx.be> wrote:

> There are currently 31 bugs marked lenny-ignore. As I understand things,
> if option 1 makes it all those 31 need to be fixed before we can release
> lenny.

Some of these are technical issues rather than DFSG issues, so aren't
relevant to the GR.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 12-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Don Armstrong

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Ben Finney wrote:
> Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> writes:
> > Unfortunately you forgot to also mention this bug for instance:
> >
> > http://bugs.debian.org/494120
>
> Which has been prematurely archived on 2008-08-15 while in
> mid-discussion, by one party in that discussion.

Uh... it was archived on 2008/09/6 by the BTS itself after the bug had
been closed on 2008/8/7 and the last message was on 2008/8/8.

So no, it wasn't prematurely archived, and more than 28 days with no
discussion certainly is not mid-discussion.

Don Armstrong

--
"I was thinking seven figures," he said, "but I would have taken a
hundred grand. I'm not a greedy person." [All for a moldy bottle of

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 12-17-2008, 05:21 AM
Ben Finney

Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> writes:

> On Mon, 15 Dec 2008, Ben Finney wrote:
> > Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> writes:
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/494120
> >
> > Which has been prematurely archived on 2008-08-15 while in
> > mid-discussion, by one party in that discussion.
>
> Uh... it was archived on 2008/09/6 by the BTS itself after the bug
> had been closed on 2008/8/7 and the last message was on 2008/8/8.

I checked carefully before sending the above message; the dates on the
bug discussion and control messages *were* as I described. Yet today,
they're as you describe. I have no ready explanation for that
discrepancy.

This thread certainly isn't the place to discuss strange observed
debbugs behaviour, though, so I'll leave it at that for now.

--
“I object to doing things that computers can do.” —Olin Shivers |
` |