-   -   Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/206391-packages-still-depending-gtk-1-2-a.html)

Josselin Mouette 12-05-2008 05:06 PM

Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

Hi,

GTK+ 1.2 has been deprecated upstream for 6 years. There is no security
support for it, and no new applications using it have been out for quite
a long time as well.

I think it is more than time to remove it from the archive. Of course,
this can only be done after we have dealt with the reverse dependencies.
For them, there are not many solutions:
* Look for alternatives using GTK+ 2.x. For most utilities and
games, they already exist, whether already in the archive or
somewhere else ready to be packaged.
* Port to GTK+ 2.x. Depending on the application, this can be a
trivial or very large task, and it requires a bit of motivation.
* Simply drop the application from the archive.

Here is a first list of packages that could either be removed right now
because they seem to have replacements, or updated with little work. If
there are no objections, I think we should ask for removal of all of
those which don’t have a GTK+ 2 version.

Guenter Geiger (Debian/GNU) <geiger@debian.org>
shaketracker
=> we have other sequencers in the archive
swami
=> upstream is currently porting it to GTK+ 2

Marc Dequènes (Duck) <Duck@DuckCorp.org>
worlded
=> no upstream news for 4 years, we have better such games in the
archive

Jari Aalto <jari.aalto@cante.net>
gcrontab
=> gnome-schedule

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org>
gtimer
=> hamster-applet, gnotime

Ben Armstrong <synrg@sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca>
snowflake
=> just a toy

Ernesto Nadir Crespo Avila <ecrespo@debianvenezuela.org>
xwhois
=> gnome-nettool

Bradley Bell <btb@debian.org>
gtkmm

Jon Bernard <jbernard@debian.org>
e16menuedit
=> we don’t ship E16 anymore

Adrian Bridgett <bridgett@debian.org>
gato
=> gnome-schedule

Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt <he@debian.org>
wmclockmon
=> Yet Another WindowMaker Applet

Mark Brown <broonie@debian.org>
powertweak
=> Is that still relevant with modern power management policies?

Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org>
xarchon
=> Unmaintained upstream for 5 years, we’re not lacking games
xpuyopuyo
=> flobopuyo, cuyo…

Ross Burton <ross@burtonini.com>
gtk-engines-lighthouseblue

Patryk Cisek <patryk@prezu.one.pl>
kadu
=> pidgin

Debian Electronics Team <pkg-electronics-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
gwave
=> gtkwave

Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
lmemory
=> gcompris ?

Tim Dijkstra <tim@famdijkstra.org>
digitaldj
=> prokyon3

Randall Donald <rdonald@debian.org>
gradio
=> gnomeradio

Peter Eisentraut <petere@debian.org>
pinentry
=> just need to disable the GTK+ 1.2 build

Rene Engelhard <rene@debian.org>
aria
=> gwget
manedit
=> gmanedit

Devid Filoni <d.filoni@techemail.com>
dillo
=> there is a new upstream based on FLTK

Bdale Garbee <bdale@gag.com>
predict (U)

Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
gnome-libs
gtkfontsel
gtkglarea
imlib
netdude
sqlrelay
stegdetect

=> QA-maintained packages should be removed as soon as they don’t have
remaining rdeps

Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse@debian.org>
amoeba
=> just a toy, and we have rss-glx

Wartan Hachaturow <wart@debian.org>
grpn
=> calcoo

John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org>
gpppon
=> gnome-ppp

Uwe Hermann <uwe@debian.org>
cccd
=> we have so many CD players that I won’t list them
powershell
=> gnome-terminal, xfterm…

Alberto Gonzalez Iniesta <agi@inittab.org>
gqcam
=> cheese…

Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>
xbindkeys-config
=> I think we have quite a number of key->event managers already

Steffen Joeris <white@debian.org>
xoscope
=> extace

Matthew Johnson <mjj29@debian.org>
gbib
=> pybliographer ?

Daniel Kobras <kobras@debian.org>
libdv
=> we just need to stop building libdv-bin

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@debian.org>
fvwm (U)

Antonin Kral <A.Kral@sh.cvut.cz>
gtkguitune
=> lingot

Noèl Köthe <noel@debian.org>
mbrowse
=> tkmib + at least 2 online services doing the same

Wesley J. Landaker <wjl@icecavern.net>
gwave (U)

Chris Lawrence <lawrencc@debian.org>
gnome-lokkit
=> so many iptables frontends…

Ron Lee <ron@debian.org>
wxwindows2.4
=> no remaining rdeps

Jacob Luna Lundberg <jacob@gnifty.net>
xscorch
=> atanks, scorched3d

Eduardo Marcel Macan <macan@debian.org>
vertex
=> blender ?

Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com>
codebreaker
=> gnome-mastermind

OHURA Makoto <ohura@debian.org>
tex-guy
=> xgdvi can be replaced by evince and many others
xemacs21
=> maybe we need to wait for emacs23

Paul Mangan <claws@thewildbeast.co.uk>
sylpheed-gtk1 (U)

Bart Martens <bartm@debian.org>
qiv
=> yay, an image viewer

GOTO Masanori <gotom@debian.org>
lm-batmon
=> yay, a battery monitor

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
guile-gtk-1.2
gwave (U)

Ricardo Mones <mones@debian.org>
sylpheed-gtk1
=> sylpheed-claws

Stephen M Moraco <stephen@debian.org>
karpski
=> wireshark

Ryan Murray <rmurray@debian.org>
gdk-pixbuf

Francesco Namuri <francesco@namuri.it>
lopster
=> did you know that Napster was shut down?

Kari Pahula <kaol@debian.org>
crossfire-client
=> just need to disable the GTK+ 1.2 build

Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org>
zangband
=> yay, a rogue game

Javier Fernandez-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@computer.org>
cheops
=> I don’t think we have a similar tool, but all the functionality
should be covered by combining 2 or 3 of them.
i2e
=> We have more generic and modern dictionary tools

V*ctor Pérez Pereira <vperez@debianvenezuela.org>
gfslicer
=> Several tools can build multi-file archives, which boils down to the
same functionality in a more portable way

Frederic Peters <fpeters@debian.org>
gaby
=> I think we have a number of such tools already
geg
=> lybniz, kmplot

Florian Ragwitz <rafl@debian.org>
wmmaiload
=> Yay, a WindowMaker dockapp

Josip Rodin <joy-packages@debian.org>
gbase
=> gcalctool and many others
gentoo
=> yay, a file manager
gman
=> yelp and many others

Miriam Ruiz <little_miry@yahoo.es>
lmemory (U)

Darren Salt <linux@youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk>
libjsw

Stefan Schimanski <schimmi@debian.org>
qtpixmap

Alexander Schmehl <tolimar@debian.org>
xdialog
=> zenity

Alain Schroeder <alain@debian.org>
gsnes9x
=> visualboyadvance ?

Gustavo Noronha Silva <kov@debian.org>
sylpheed-gtk1 (U)

Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es>
gbuffy
=> Yay, a mail notification tool

Roberto Suarez Soto <turgon@debian.org>
wallp
=> drapes

Wolfgang Sourdeau <was@debian.org>
ghfaxviewer
=> Yay, a picture viewer with a restricted scope

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org>
fvwm
=> Why does it depend on both GTK+ 1.2 and 2.x ?

Joop Stakenborg <pa3aba@debian.org>
baycomepp (U)
baycomusb (U)
hf (U)

Roland Stigge <stigge@antcom.de>
gcvs
=> At least the toolkit is assorted to the VCS. Many IDEs or editors
still have a CVS plugin anyway.
gps
=> gnome-system-monitor and many others

Andreas Tille <tille@debian.org>
libgtkimreg
paul
=> Yay, an imaging library and an image viewer

Marcela Tiznado <mlt@debian.org>
gtkgo
=> quarry

Guido Trotter <ultrotter@debian.org>
directory-administrator
=> gq + several web-based such frontends

Junichi Uekawa <dancer@debian.org>
soundtracker
=> there are a few other trackers, especially ardour, although none of
them uses the MOD/XM format

Michael Vogt <mvo@debian.org>
corewars
=> maybe we should package pmars instead?

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
putty
=> hotwire, a plain terminal…

Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@debian.org>
mountapp
=> yay, a dockapp

Rafal Zawadzki <bluszcz@jabberpl.org>
wmshutdown
=> yay, a dockapp

For the following packages, I didn’t find any trivial solution, so this
needs further investigation.

A. Maitland Bottoms <bottoms@debian.org>
predict

Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org>
mah-jong

Debian Hamradio Maintainers <debian-hams@lists.debian.org>
baycomepp
baycomusb
hf

Manuel Garcia <mannyto@gmail.com>
crank

Yu Guanghui <ygh@debian.org>
sulu

Uwe Hermann <uwe@debian.org>
pixelize

Steffen Joeris <steffen.joeris@skolelinux.de>
gpsim-led
gpsim-logic

Daniel Kobras <kobras@debian.org>
dbmix
ygraph

Carlos Laviola <claviola@debian.org>
lazarus

Ola Lundqvist <opal@debian.org>
ledcontrol
xt

Camm Maguire <camm@enhanced.com>
perspic

Christoph Martin <christoph.martin@uni-mainz.de>
gtalk

Hamish Moffatt <hamish@debian.org>
baycomepp (U)
baycomusb (U)
hf (U)

Jose M. Moya <josem@die.upm.es>
kmd

Mazen Neifer <mazen@freepascal.org>
lazarus (U)

Patrick Ouellette <pouelle@debian.org>
baycomepp (U)
baycomusb (U)
hf (U)

Jaime Robles <jaime@debian.org>
baycomepp (U)
baycomusb (U)
hf (U)

Josip Rodin <joy-packages@debian.org>
gtkpool

Ryan Schultz <schultz.ryan@gmail.com>
psemu-input-padjoy
psemu-sound-peops
psemu-video-x11

Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org>
linpopup

Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk>
python-visual

Riccardo Stagni <unriccio@email.it>
gcx

Lucas Wall <lwall@debian.org>
pilrc

Torsten Werner <twerner@debian.org>
lazarus (U)
python-visual (U)

Cheers,
--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

James Vega 12-05-2008 05:19 PM

On Fri, Dec 05, 2008 at 07:06:26PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Jon Bernard <jbernard@debian.org>
> e16menuedit
> => we don’t ship E16 anymore

packages.debian.org says otherwise.

--
James
GPG Key: 1024D/61326D40 2003-09-02 James Vega <jamessan@debian.org>

Barry deFreese 12-05-2008 05:27 PM

Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

Josselin Mouette wrote:

<snip>
Debian Games Team <pkg-games-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
lmemory
=> gcompris ?

I'll take a look at this one.

<snip>
Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
gnome-libs
gtkfontsel
gtkglarea
imlib
netdude
sqlrelay
stegdetect

=> QA-maintained packages should be removed as soon as they don’t have
remaining rdeps

I will look at this as well since I'm on an RM:/proposed RM kick. I
assume this is more of a Lenny+1 goal?

Thanks,

Barry deFreese

Barry deFreese 12-05-2008 07:11 PM

Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2

Barry deFreese wrote:

OK, I have looked at several of these and man what a mess.

<snip>
Debian QA Group <packages@qa.debian.org>
gnome-libs

Orphaned but obviously tons of r(b)depends.

gtkfontsel
Orphaned but a fairly significant popcon. I can't find new upstream
source. Could probably be ported or RM:d.

gtkglarea
Orphaned and I can't find any upstream source yet but again lots of
r(b)depends.

imlib

Orphaned and LOTS of r(b)depends.

netdude
ITA'd. There is a new upstream available. I've pinged the ITAer to see
if the new upstream is GTK 2.0.

sqlrelay
Some of the binaries have decent popcons. We could probably either port
sqlrelay-config-gtk or just remove that binary for now.

stegdetect

RM: filed.

Is this really feasible? How many people are going to work on dead
packages? Or if we RM: the lot of them, how many users are we pissing off?

Thanks,

Barry deFreese

Scott Kitterman 12-05-2008 08:01 PM

On Friday 05 December 2008 13:06, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Paul Mangan <claws@thewildbeast.co.uk>
> * *sylpheed-gtk1 (U)
>
> Ricardo Mones <mones@debian.org>
> * *sylpheed-gtk1
> *=> sylpheed-claws

sylpheed-gtk1 should be replaced by sylpheed. sylpheed-claws (now claws-mail)
is a fork.

Scott K

Morten Kjeldgaard 12-05-2008 08:41 PM

Packages still depending on GTK+ 1.2