Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 AM
David Paleino

Default Packaging IKVM: inclusion of 3rd-party sources

Hello,
as part of the Debian Mono Team, I'm trying to get ikvm [1] into an usable
state.
I've contacted the upstream author, since the build process is *nasty*, at
least: it *requires* GNU Classpath's and OpenJDK's sources (upstream specified
that a *full* *build* of OpenJDK is required, because of some generated files),
and including them inside debian/ is not a great idea to me because:

1) *enormous* diff.gz;
2) security headaches -- code duplication is never nice;
3) hard maintainability.

Upstream noted that he does provide pre-generated .zips with all the needed
files to build IKVM. I suppose that this makes ikvm non-free (pre-built
binaries), but the binaries are effectively coming from software in main (GNU
Classpath and OpenJDK).

How should I behave here?

1) Should I include the sources in debian/ and do all the needed steps to get
a full compile? (notice that if we follow this, each IKVM build will include
an OpenJDK build...)

2) Or should I make two separate (source) packages, "ikvm" and
"ikvm-build-deps", with the former Build-Depends on the latter? Also, would
this be acceptable? (probably ikvm-build-deps would go into non-free, and
ikvm into contrib?)

Any suggestion is very welcome.

Regards,
David Paleino

[1] that is, the JVM ported on Mono

--
. '`. Debian maintainer | http://wiki.debian.org/DavidPaleino
: :' : Linuxer #334216 --|-- http://www.hanskalabs.net/

Old 12-04-2008, 10:01 AM
Cyril Brulebois

David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> (04/12/2008):
> How should I behave here?
>
> 1) Should I include the sources in debian/ and do all the needed
> steps to get a full compile? (notice that if we follow this, each
> IKVM build will include an OpenJDK build...)
>
> 2) Or should I make two separate (source) packages, "ikvm" and
> "ikvm-build-deps", with the former Build-Depends on the latter?
> Also, would this be acceptable? (probably ikvm-build-deps would go
> into non-free, and ikvm into contrib?)
>
> Any suggestion is very welcome.

3) Run away.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:17 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM, Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> wrote:
> David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> (04/12/2008):
>> Any suggestion is very welcome.
>
> 3) Run away.

4) Prepare asbestos suit. Then build-depend on openjdk-6-source and
notify the release team about the need to binNMU every time openjdk
gets updated. Notify the security team of this requirement so that
they can fix ikvm when/if OpenJDK requires a DSA/DTSA.

5) Some kinda mono -> Java runtime bridge instead of converting the
code at build time?

6 ) see #3

--
bye,