Old 12-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Charles Plessy

Default NEW processing and lintian warnings.

Le Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 12:41:50PM -0800, Michael Tautschnig a écrit :

> Instead, currently, they get distracted by many easy-to-spot errors
> (including lintian warnings/errors, which really doesn't require one to be an
> ftp-master to see...).

Hi everybody

After reading the thread this morning, I really feel that there is a consensus
that packages with "lintian errors" have to be rejected, ideally in an
automagic manner. This is probably a good idea, with the caveat that it will
make lintian and NEW interdependent in the same way that the "serious" bug
severity has been phagocyted by policy bugs: expect complaints about the
classification of lintian output based on the fact that it makes packages
rejected.

Nevertheless, for complete cleaning of "lintian warnings", I really think that
the Project is going the wrong way. We start to micromanage Upstream code and
accumulate patches that are definitely minor improvements, like adding whatis
entries to manpages. We really should leverage Upstream's workforce and report
the problems there instead of fixing them locally at the expense of our limited
time. With this, "lintian warnings" become not only useful to Debian but also
to the whole communauty, since when Upstream corrects his code and
documentation, it benefits to all.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy