Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Julien BLACHE

Default NEW processing

Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> wrote:

> Most of our users would probably agree to trade a small amount of
> quality with faster packaging of new versions, and more timely releases.

No. The people you describe want Ubuntu, or something alike. They're
free to go get it, as far as I'm concerned.

JB.

--
Julien BLACHE - Debian & GNU/Linux Developer - <jblache@debian.org>

Public key available on <http://www.jblache.org> - KeyID: F5D6 5169

Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM
Kalle Kivimaa

Mark Brown <broonie@sirena.org.uk> writes:
> I'm guessing that many of the other checks that Lucas mentions fall out
> of the examination you have to do for the licensing anyway?

Yes, eg. code duplication shows up pretty fast in the
license/copyright check.

--
* Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology (T.P) *
* PGP public key available @ http://www.iki.fi/killer *

Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Clint Adams

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 02:45:43PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> I'm very happy about the additional checks the ftpteam does. If people want a
> faster crappy distribution, there are options, no need to turn Debian into
> that.

I don't understand the logical connection here. IMO, NEW processing should
be a rubber stamp, with only the checking required to satisfy whatever our
needs are for liability purposes. How does maintaining an arbitrary
bottleneck make us better than Ubuntu and not the contrary?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Charles Plessy

Le Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 11:24:07AM +0100, Holger Levsen a crit :

> also, as far as I know, the ftp-team is still looking for new members, it's
> just that not many people want to do the work. (last time they called, only 4
> people replied, out of which 2 became ftp-assistents. pretty good, IMNSHO)

Hello everybody

In the Debian Med team we are still in exponential growth phase and use the NEW
queue a lot. For this reason I feel we have the duty of contribute some time to
this process. I proposed a peer review system to improve the quality of
debian/copyright in the packages submitted to the queue, but this does not
remove the need of a check by the person(s) who will take the real
responsability for the distribution of the packages.

I would like to help for the review or the packages of the NEW queue. I have
read the announcment of May about recruitment in the FTP team
(87r6bkiu85.fsf@vorlon.ganneff.de), but fail at multiple criterion: not a
programmer, not on IRC, not possible to give 5-10 hours per week. Is there a
workflow in which I could be helpful, for instance by focusing on the license
inventory and inspection?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,

Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Kalle Kivimaa

Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org> writes:
> I don't understand the logical connection here. IMO, NEW processing should
> be a rubber stamp, with only the checking required to satisfy whatever our
> needs are for liability purposes.

In my relatively short experience even the legalese check is
definitely NOT rubber stamping, considering how many NEW packages fail
licensing/copyright checks...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM
"Patrick Schnfeld"

2008/12/3 Clint Adams <schizo@debian.org>:
> On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 02:45:43PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
>> I'm very happy about the additional checks the ftpteam does. If people want a
>> faster crappy distribution, there are options, no need to turn Debian into
>> that.
>
> I don't understand the logical connection here. IMO, NEW processing should
> be a rubber stamp, with only the checking required to satisfy whatever our
> needs are for liability purposes. How does maintaining an arbitrary
> bottleneck make us better than Ubuntu and not the contrary?

I agree that an arbitray bottleneck doesn't make us better than
Ubuntu, but I guess the people reference the statements that talked
about a "tradeoff in quality" in favor of less time, with what they
eventually disagree (as I do, too).

Regards,
Patrick

Old 12-03-2008, 01:51 PM
Romain Beauxis

Le Wednesday 03 December 2008 14:36:39 Miriam Ruiz, vous avez crit*:
> > If people feel that a reviewing service is needed, we could split
> > that out of NEW processing and have a separate service (or just use
> > debian-mentors@ and http://mentors.debian.net).
>
> Yup, I agree with you. I think that makes sense.

Humm..

I must mitigate my previous mail.
I, too, believe the copyright check is the core of the role of the NEW queue.

Quality checks could be done later and this would ease the whole process while
keeping a focus where it is important.

Romain

Old 12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
Martin Wuertele

* Romain Beauxis <toots@rastageeks.org> [2008-12-03 15:51]:

> I, too, believe the copyright check is the core of the role of the NEW queue.
>
> Quality checks could be done later and this would ease the whole process while
> keeping a focus where it is important.

I completely disagree. It's a welcome benefit if packages of inferior
quality are prevented from entering the archive in the first place imo.
If you want to test packages not yet ready for debian you can upload
them to universe.

yours Martin

Old 12-03-2008, 02:41 PM
Mehdi Dogguy

Martin Wuertele wrote:
> If you want to test packages not yet ready for debian you can upload
> them to universe.

What's "universe" ?
You mean "experimental" ?

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدقي
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~dogguy

Old 12-03-2008, 02:47 PM
Patrick Schoenfeld

On Wed, Dec 03, 2008 at 04:33:15PM +0100, Martin Wuertele wrote:
> I completely disagree. It's a welcome benefit if packages of inferior
> quality are prevented from entering the archive in the first place imo.

I agree with this and we should not get rid of it.

> If you want to test packages not yet ready for debian you can upload
> them to universe.

Is it really neccessary to always rant again Ubuntu when we are
discussing our own problems? Is this some form of excuse for the
problems in our project? Or why is this used that often?

Regards,
Patrick