Old 12-03-2008, 03:29 AM
Charles Plessy

Default Can we help the release by proposing package removals?

Hi all,

prompted by weekly news, I had a look at the RC bug page.

I think that one limitation of the RC concept is that it does not distinguish:
- the packages that would not be part of the release if it were to be done today,
- the pacakges without which Debian will not release.

Let's see for instance the first package of the list on
http://bts.turmzimmer.net/details.php : acl2. Its maintainer is not keeping up
with his packages (most are NMUed), and he did not anwer recently to the bug.
Acl2 is a leaf package with a popcon score of 50. Unofficial Lenny support
could probably be supplied through backports.debian.org if there were users
requesting it and developers willing to contribute time on a mid-term basis.

Would it help the release team if people who want to help would file properly
argumented requests of removal for such packages? This would clear the RC radar
and focus energy on the packages without which Debian can not consider
releasing.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Cyril Brulebois

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> (03/12/2008):
> [blablabla for the actual question:]
> Subject: Re: Can we help the release by proposing package removals?

Look at debian-release@, that's already being done.

Mraw,
KiBi.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Charles Plessy (plessy@debian.org):

> Would it help the release team if people who want to help would file properly
> argumented requests of removal for such packages? This would clear the RC radar
> and focus energy on the packages without which Debian can not consider
> releasing.

Indeed, such removal request have already been suggested in some of
the RC-buggy packages (hint: verlihub).

So, the point is more or less finding an agreement about the right
process to get such removals done. Of course, the technical process is
well known and needs no enhancement but the point is more being sure
about who should do this and when.

I'm fairly sure that the release team will file removal requests when
they feel like time has come to get rid of the old dust....but how
could that process be made more efficient (or fast). We all lose lot
of valuable time by going through all these RC bugs where the only
solution is the package removal.

IMHO, nothing really prevents you to file a removal request anyway and
nobody would virtually kill you for this..:-)