Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Sven Arvidsson

Default Why acroread is popular (Was: Popular packages in Ubuntu that is missing in Debian/main)

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 17:15 +0200, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > ..because I do not use GNOME and KDE and it does not suck several
> > 100 MByte of useless GNOME and KDE libs!
> 'evince-gtk' package pulls much less dependencies, I am using it with XFCE.

There's also epdfview, described as "in the lines of Evince but without
using the GNOME libraries".

It uses Poppler, but otherwise I have no idea how it compares to Evince.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson

Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Yves-Alexis Perez

On mar, 2008-12-02 at 16:33 +0100, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> There's also epdfview, described as "in the lines of Evince but
> without
> using the GNOME libraries".
>
> It uses Poppler, but otherwise I have no idea how it compares to
> Evince.

It's really nice and light, but not as feature-rich as evince. And it's
not really maintained (upstream) at the moment. If gconf doesn't scare
you, you should stick with evince-gtk, sadly :/

Cheers,
--
Yves-Alexis

Old 12-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mardi 02 dĂ©cembre 2008 Ă* 19:08 +0100, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort a
Ă©crit :
> Since 2.24 (which is in experimental) the evince package doesn't link to
> unneeded dependencies anymore, making the evince-gtk package pointless. So now
> you will be able to install the evince package with the same results.

And if someone motivated enough wants to remove these dependencies, it
shouldn’t be too hard to remove GConf and Gnome-Keyring by putting their
functionality in loadable plugins, since they are only used in small
portions of the code.

Cheers,
--
.'`.