Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

Default Popular packages in Ubuntu that is missing in Debian/main

To see which popular packages are missing in Debian/main at the
moment, I decided to compare the list of popular pckaages in Ubuntu
with the list of packages in Debian/main. The result was interesting.

There are at the moment 823762 reports colleected in
popcon.ubuntu.com. I decided to use 5000 (~0.6%) installations as the
cutoff point defining "popular", as 5000 installations could be seen
as quite a significant user base, even if it is a very small fraction
of the user base.. This gave me a list of 1543 packages in Ubuntu.
There are 31595 debian/main packages listed as used by
popcon.debian.org, and comparing these lists give this list of 152
packages only in Ubuntu and not in Debian/main:

acroread acroread-escript adobe-flashplugin apparmor apparmor-utils
apport apturl avidemux binutils-static bluez bluez-gstreamer
busybox-initramfs compiz-wrapper displayconfig-gtk dkms dvdrip
emerald example-content firefox-2 firefox-3.0 firefox-3.0-branding
firefox-3.0-gnome-support gdebi-kde gstreamer0.10-pitfdll
gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly-multiverse hwdb-client-common
hwdb-client-gnome hwtest hwtest-gtk iceauth inputattach
jockey-common jockey-gtk jockey-kde kdebase-workspace-bin
kde-window-manager kio-umountwrapper kubuntu-artwork-usplash lame
landscape-common language-pack-de language-pack-de-base
language-pack-en language-pack-en-base language-pack-es
language-pack-es-base language-pack-fr language-pack-fr-base
language-selector language-selector-common launchpad-integration
libbluetooth3 libcamel1.2-14 libcanberra-gnome libcryptui0 libdca0
libebackend1.2-0 libedataserver1.2-11 libemeraldengine0 libfaac0
libgnome-desktop-2-7 libgp11-0 libgucharmap7
liblaunchpad-integration1 libltdl7 libplasma2 linux-firmware
linux-headers-2.6.24-21 linux-headers-2.6.24-21-generic
linux-headers-2.6.27-7 linux-headers-2.6.27-7-generic
linux-image-2.6.22-14-generic linux-image-2.6.22-15-generic
linux-image-2.6.24-16-generic linux-image-2.6.24-19-generic
linux-image-2.6.24-21-generic linux-image-2.6.27-7-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-21-generic
linux-restricted-modules-common
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-19-generic
linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24-21-generic mencoder mjpegtools
nspluginwrapper nvidia-173-modaliases nvidia-177-kernel-source
nvidia-177-modaliases nvidia-71-modaliases nvidia-96-modaliases
nvidia-common nvidia-glx nvidia-glx-177 nvidia-glx-new
nvidia-settings onboard openoffice.org-l10n-common
openoffice.org-style-human opera picasa powermanagement-interface
pxljr python-apport python-bittorrent python-cupshelpers
python-gconf python-gnomecanvas python-launchpad-bugs
python-launchpad-integration python-problem-report python-virtkey
python-xkit rar restricted-manager restricted-manager-core
seahorse-plugins sessreg skype smartdimmer soprano-daemon
sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jre sun-java6-bin sun-java6-jdk
sun-java6-jre system-config-printer-common
system-config-printer-gnome system-config-printer-kde sysvutils
transcode ufw unrar update-motd upstart upstart-compat-sysv
upstart-logd usb-creator usplash-theme-ubuntu virtualbox
virtualbox-2.0 vlc-plugin-pulse volumeid w32codecs xdpyinfo xkbutils
xmodmap xorg-driver-fglrx xrdb xset xsetroot xvinfo

I was a bit surprised that there were so few popular packages missing
in Debian/main. A lot of these packages are due to different package
structure or other differences between Debian and Ubuntu, while others
are already available in contrib or non-free (like sun-java*).

A lot of the rest is multimedia related (like avidemux, lame,
mencoder, mjpegtools, transcode) which would be very nice to have
available in Debian. The onboard package for example seem to be
related to accessibility support. Should we try to get any of these
packages into Debian/main?

This is how I made the list:

GET http://popcon.ubuntu.com/by_vote.gz | gunzip > ubuntu-by_vote-all
GET http://popcon.debian.org/main/by_vote.gz | gunzip > debian-by_vote-main
grep -v '#' ubuntu-by_vote-all |awk '$4 > 10000 {print $2}' |
sort > ubuntu-popular
awk '{print $2}' debian-by_vote-main | sort > debian-main
comm -23 ubuntu-popular debian-main

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 11-30-2008, 03:54 PM
"Paul Wise"

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 12:05 AM, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:

> Should we try to get any of these packages into Debian/main?

I think it is up to their Ubuntu maintainers or any Debian people who
use them or want them in Debian to get them into Debian
main/contrib/non-free.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Michael Banck

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 04:05:09PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> comparing these lists give this list of 152
> packages only in Ubuntu and not in Debian/main:
>
> acroread

It would be useful to (i) only include packages from Ubuntu
universe/main, and (ii) maybe edit it a bit to remove the kernel
packages etc.

Otherwise, that's a great list to have!

Michael

Old 11-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Sune Vuorela

On 2008-11-30, Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
> kdebase-workspace-bin
> kde-window-manager

is in experimental.

> system-config-printer-common
> system-config-printer-gnome

I am planning to request this split of system-config-printer quite soon,
so that we when next kde major release can have

> system-config-printer-kde

/Sune

Old 11-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Steve Langasek

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 06:06:38PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 04:05:09PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> > comparing these lists give this list of 152
> > packages only in Ubuntu and not in Debian/main:

> > acroread

> It would be useful to (i) only include packages from Ubuntu
> universe/main,

and perhaps to exclude packages that are no longer distributed by Ubuntu -
the only still-supported Ubuntu release that includes acroread is Ubuntu
6.06 LTS, it's not present in Ubuntu 7.10 or later.

Cheers,
Ubuntu Developer http://www.debian.org/
slangasek@ubuntu.com vorlon@debian.org

Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Gunnar Wolf

Petter Reinholdtsen dijo [Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 04:05:09PM +0100]:
> (...)
> acroread acroread-escript

FWIW, I find this quite strange... I know many non-FS users assume
that the good PDF reader is the Acrobat PDF reader. However, I find it
quite inferior both in usability and on quality to evince - Even now
that evince does properly(?) support provisions disallowing copying
from or printing a PDF.

But anyway, and knowing this is not an Ubuntu list... Does anybody
know why on Earth is Acroread popular? Why isn't a PDF regularly
handled in a saner way with Evince (or kde-based lookalike) in some
distributions?

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973 F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF

Old 12-01-2008, 03:25 AM
"Daniel Moerner"

With regard to the thread proper: As far as packages that are not
currently in Debian, dkms has already obviously been discussed.
apturl seems interesting, however.

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> wrote:
> Petter Reinholdtsen dijo [Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 04:05:09PM +0100]:
>> (...)
>> acroread acroread-escript
>
> FWIW, I find this quite strange... I know many non-FS users assume
> that the good PDF reader is the Acrobat PDF reader. However, I find it
> quite inferior both in usability and on quality to evince - Even now
> that evince does properly(?) support provisions disallowing copying
> from or printing a PDF.
>
> But anyway, and knowing this is not an Ubuntu list... Does anybody
> know why on Earth is Acroread popular? Why isn't a PDF regularly
> handled in a saner way with Evince (or kde-based lookalike) in some
> distributions?

Evince cannot properly zoom in on some pdfs. Compare pdfs at 200%
zoom downloaded from JSTOR (a commonly used and rather expensive
database collection) in evince and acroread. Evince has notably
inferior quality in this regard.

Also, prior to kde4, kpdf did not support rotation, which explains why
acroread as an alternative would have been popular.

--
Daniel Moerner <dmoerner@gmail.com>

Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:25 PM, Daniel Moerner <dmoerner@gmail.com> wrote:

> apturl seems interesting, however.

Debian already has aptlinex so apturl isn't needed. Might be a good
idea for the two upstreams of these packages to get them merged.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 AM
Daniel Baumann

Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Does anybody
> know why on Earth is Acroread popular?

There are some features that are present in e.g. evince, but are,
arguable though, more 'advanced' implemented in adobe reader (e.g.
better zooming capabilities as alreayd someone said).

however, there are two 'features' that are atm completely specific to
adobe reader: CMYK support and support of displaying certain DRM locked
ebooks and such, that do dynamically 'reload' pages from sub-files (many
computer magazine archive cds do that).

I think most people that use adobe reader use it because they just
*think* it is the better reader, which it is in most cases not. or
because they don't know that with mozplugger, you can use evince to
behave like adobes pdf plugin.

Regards,
Daniel

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Old 12-01-2008, 07:34 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le dimanche 30 novembre 2008 Ă* 20:59 -0600, Gunnar Wolf a Ă©crit :
> However, I find it
> quite inferior both in usability and on quality to evince - Even now
> that evince does properly(?) support provisions disallowing copying
> from or printing a PDF.

This “support” is disabled by default.

Cheers,
--