Old 11-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Christian Perrier

Default Game servers in /usr/games or /usr/sbin

Quoting Magnus Holmgren (holmgren@debian.org):
> Game executables should be installed in /usr/games, but what about game
> servers that are designed to be long-running (in contrast to ones that just
> manage a single game) and to run as a system daemon, and doesn't work if
> executed by an ordinary user? I don't think either Policy or the FHS mentions
> this explicitly, possibly because there are very few such executables.

#506811, right?

Looking quickly at the existing ones, it seems that most of them do
not have the server executables placed in /usr/games.....

Whatever the answer is, I don't really see #506811 as an RC bug. The
user was misusing the package as he is not launching the game server
the way it is intended to be launched.

So, whatever the answer to your question is, the bug should IMHO be
closed.

Maybe another can be opened for moving the binary to /usr/sbin,
depending on what this discussion gives....

Old 12-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Goswin von Brederlow

Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:

> Quoting Magnus Holmgren (holmgren@debian.org):
>> Game executables should be installed in /usr/games, but what about game
>> servers that are designed to be long-running (in contrast to ones that just
>> manage a single game) and to run as a system daemon, and doesn't work if
>> executed by an ordinary user? I don't think either Policy or the FHS mentions
>> this explicitly, possibly because there are very few such executables.
>

> #506811, right?
>
> Looking quickly at the existing ones, it seems that most of them do
> not have the server executables placed in /usr/games.....
>
> Whatever the answer is, I don't really see #506811 as an RC bug. The
> user was misusing the package as he is not launching the game server
> the way it is intended to be launched.
>
> So, whatever the answer to your question is, the bug should IMHO be
> closed.
>
> Maybe another can be opened for moving the binary to /usr/sbin,
> depending on what this discussion gives....

Why should the server be in roots path? Games should never be run as
root.

If the server is to be started by a user then /usr/games. Otherwise I
would go for /usr/lib/package/.

MfG
Goswin

Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 AM
Ben Hutchings

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 00:08 +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Quoting Magnus Holmgren (holmgren@debian.org):
> >> Game executables should be installed in /usr/games, but what about game
> >> servers that are designed to be long-running (in contrast to ones that just
> >> manage a single game) and to run as a system daemon, and doesn't work if
> >> executed by an ordinary user? I don't think either Policy or the FHS mentions
> >> this explicitly, possibly because there are very few such executables.
> >

> > #506811, right?
> >
> > Looking quickly at the existing ones, it seems that most of them do
> > not have the server executables placed in /usr/games.....
> >
> > Whatever the answer is, I don't really see #506811 as an RC bug. The
> > user was misusing the package as he is not launching the game server
> > the way it is intended to be launched.
> >
> > So, whatever the answer to your question is, the bug should IMHO be
> > closed.
> >
> > Maybe another can be opened for moving the binary to /usr/sbin,
> > depending on what this discussion gives....
>
> Why should the server be in roots path? Games should never be run as
> root.
[...]

This is just as true for many other network servers, but by convention
they live in /usr/sbin.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Klipstein's 4th Law of Prototyping and Production: