Old 11-29-2008, 03:58 AM
Matt Arnold

Default what about a unofficial public community repo?

Raphael Geissert wrote:
> William Pitcock wrote:
> [...]
>> The ideal way to handle this would be to have a single repository. PPAs
>> solve a different problem, which is giving contributors and developers a
>> playground to publish their in-progress packages. This is more about
>> getting packages to users in an efficient way, for maintainers that do
>> not wish to include those packages in Debian proper for either policy
>> reasons, code quality reasons, or otherwise.
>
> Solution:
> http://their.domain.tld/debian sid main
>
> Why do people even want to care about those packages?
> I mean, why would one want to use a package which has dubious quality, dubious
> maintenance, dubious origins (can it even be legally distributed/used/etc?),
> dubious <insert whatever you want here>?.
>
> If a package is not in shape, then get it in shape.
> If they don't know how to setup a simple repository or don't know how to package
> and are not willing to learn, then they should just forget about it and install
> the software by hand (if they know how to do that, of course).
>
> There's no reason to spend/waste more time/resources on all that extra stuff
> only newcomers will, wrongly, use.
>
> Or do we have so much man power that there's no much left to do but to waste it?
>
>> William
>
> P.S. no need to reply; I just can't stand seeing this topic being brought to
> discussion over and over again, always suggesting the same, silly
> IMO, "solutions".
>
> Cheers,
> Raphael Geissert
>

> Solution:
> http://their.domain.tld/debian sid main

Not for some people.
Not to mention that most of those repos are improperly constructed,
some aren't even signed!

> Why do people even want to care about those packages?
Same reason you care about <insert random package from your dpkg
- --get-selections>

> If a package is not in shape, then get it in shape.
As some people will tell you that isn't always enough

> There's no reason to spend/waste more time/resources on all that extra
stuff
> only newcomers will, wrongly, use.

You are making the assumption that it will be like Upload > in, without
QA, NEW or anything and that is not what has been proposed.

> Or do we have so much man power that there's no much left to do but
to waste it?

This is a volunteer project, so individuals can allocate their time as
they see fit.

Matt

Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 23:01 -0500, Matt Arnold wrote:

> Romain Beauxis wrote:
> >> debian-unofficial.org
> >
> > Or, why not
> > apt-get.org ?
> > Or
> > mentors.debian.net ?
> >
> > Honnestly, I fail to see clearly the benefit of it, apart from more confusion
> > and new issues..
> >
> > Romain
> >

> I think the goal is to create a common infrastructure, creating a Debian
> repository takes resources that some do not have. apt-get.org is great
> if you know about pinning and such but otherwise using it can really
> bork your system,

We're talking about a repository for substandard packages which may well
do that anyway!

> mentors is a hosting service for packages which will
> be part of Debian, at some point. What is needed is a properly
> constructed archive, with some of the same procedures NEW, buildds etc.
> For packages such as qmail which are useful, but which for some reason
> can't be supported in Debian.

But that must be separate from Debian, so there is no confusion as to
whether they meet Debian standards.

> I also see this as a way for NMs to show
> their stuff without the sometimes painfully slow sponsorship process.

Unless the uploaders are in some way trusted (and NMs are, by
definition, not yet trusted by the project as a whole) then the packages
should not be autobuilt (you can run arbitrary code on the buildds) or
in any way presented as trustworthy.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Any smoothly functioning technology is indistinguishable from a rigged demo.