Old 11-28-2008, 11:57 PM
William Pitcock

Default what about a unofficial public community repo? (was: qmail and related packages in NEW)

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 23:57 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Friday 28 November 2008 22:42, William Pitcock wrote:
> > I think issues like these call for an unsupported repository outside of
> > Debian, but publicized within the community as an unofficial repository
> > for things like qmail, packages unwanted in Debian proper for the time
> > being, etc.
>
> debian-unofficial.org

There's a few problems with debian-unofficial.org, as I see it:

1. It has the same quality requirements as Debian proper in terms of
packaging and code quality -- in my way of interpreting things, qmail
would not be acceptable here;
2. I believe, but may be wrong, that daniel@d.o is the only person who
can actually add anything to it. So if daniel does not like qmail for
example, it would not be added.

What I propose is something more along the lines of Gentoo's "sunrise"
overlay... a repository that anyone can get upload access to provided
that they understand basic Debian policy and have established that they
will be non-malicious (likely through some sort of indirect uploading
for a few months). Basically a true *community* repo.

This would likely be with the packaging source being maintained in SVN,
so that there is a large amount of transparency in the maintenance
process.

William

Old 11-29-2008, 01:17 AM
William Pitcock

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-11-29 at 02:19 +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Saturday 29 November 2008 01:57, William Pitcock wrote:
> > What I propose is something more along the lines of Gentoo's "sunrise"
> > overlay... a repository that anyone can get upload access to provided
> > that they understand basic Debian policy and have established that they
> > will be non-malicious (likely through some sort of indirect uploading
> > for a few months). Basically a true *community* repo.
>
> just seen on #debian-community
>
> <h01ger> hmmm
> <h01ger> "community-repo" makes me think we should setup somethink like
> ubuntus PPA on debian-community.org
> <h01ger> interesting idea
> * h01ger scratches head

As mentioned on #debian-community, I don't think PPAs are the right way
to address this because PPAs are separate from each other, and therefore
require many sources.list lines.

The ideal way to handle this would be to have a single repository. PPAs
solve a different problem, which is giving contributors and developers a
playground to publish their in-progress packages. This is more about
getting packages to users in an efficient way, for maintainers that do
not wish to include those packages in Debian proper for either policy
reasons, code quality reasons, or otherwise.

William

Old 11-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Bas Zoetekouw

Hi Paul!

You wrote:

> basically the Debian answer to Ubuntu's universe. The main reason I
> started thinking about this was that I got annoyed when QA folks chuck
> orphaned packages (i've changed my mind about this since though).

For completeness sake: QA does not thow out orphanes packages just for
being orphaned. If they are orphaned, RC-buggy, hardly used, and
alternatives are available, only then they are candidates for removal.

Bast regards,
Bas.

| Bas Zoetekouw | Sweet day, so cool, so calm, so bright, |
|--------------------| The bridall of the earth and skie: |
| bas@zoetekouw.net | The dew shall weep thy fall tonight; |

Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Cyril Brulebois