Old 11-28-2008, 08:42 PM
William Pitcock

Default what about a unofficial public community repo? (was: qmail and related packages in NEW)

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-11-28 at 20:51 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > Can you advise me on how to get out of that dilemma?
>
> Stop trying to get qmail into Debian?
> or
> Take on upstream development of qmail and solve all the problems
> (whether qmail will then be recognisable compared to the existing
> packages that do the same job, I have no idea).

I think issues like these call for an unsupported repository outside of
Debian, but publicized within the community as an unofficial repository
for things like qmail, packages unwanted in Debian proper for the time
being, etc.

That way if people want to run qmail, they can easily get it, but under
the understanding that it was unofficial and totally unsupported by
Debian itself. (A debbugs installation could be provided for maintainers
if necessary though.)

We could also use this repository as a way for teaching new maintainers
(as an alternative to sponsorship, for the most part) -- packages that
people use could be cherrypicked out of this archive by DDs who want the
package in Debian.

Thoughts?

William