Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 AM
Don Armstrong

Default d-d-a@l.d.o ban

On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Has the d-d-a ban been lifted?

There currently isn't a ban in place.[1] listmaster@l.d.o will likely
be communicating privately with the individual(s) involved once we
have come to consensus ourselves.[2] If some sort of punitive action
is taken, d-private@l.d.o will be notified to allow DDs the
opportunity to override listmaster@l.d.o.

Don Armstrong

1: Thankfully, it hasn't been required yet
2: Which is currently in progress
--
If you wish to strive for peace of soul, then believe; if you wish to
be a devotee of truth, then inquire.

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
"Martin Langhoff"

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> wrote:
>> 1: Thankfully, it hasn't been required yet
>
> I am confused:

it might be a small misunderstanding. 'Required' is not the same as
'requested' in English (though they are in some latin languages).

Steve McIntyre has requested the ban; but it has not been "required"
yet ("shown to be needed").

Apologies if you knew this already and I misunderstood your email :-)

cheers,

martin.langhoff@gmail.com
martin@laptop.org -- School Server Architect
- ask interesting questions

Old 11-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Rafael Laboissiere

* Don Armstrong <don@debian.org> [2008-11-25 00:21]:

* Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> [2008-11-24 01:16]:

> Michael Banck wrote:
> >Joss did not hurt my feelings, but he did hurt the project's outside
> >appearance (which for most outsiders is defined as "at least whatever
> >gets posted to -news, -anounce and -devel-announce", like it or not) by
> >making us look like jerks or sexists and whatnot.
>
> And because of that I've asked the listmasters to block him from
> posting to d-d-a.

Where is the truth?

--
Rafael

Old 11-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Joerg Jaspert

>> There currently isn't a ban in place.[1] [...]
>> 1: Thankfully, it hasn't been required yet
> I am confused:

>> And because of that I've asked the listmasters to block him from
>> posting to d-d-a.
> Where is the truth?

The truth is that you cant read or parse english.
"I've asked" is not "I told them and they immediately did".

--
bye, Joerg
With a name like "TikiWiki", it seems only appropriate that if you do get

Old 11-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Rafael Laboissiere

* Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff@gmail.com> [2008-11-25 12:12]:

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Rafael Laboissiere <rafael@debian.org> wrote:
> >> 1: Thankfully, it hasn't been required yet
> >
> > I am confused:
>
> it might be a small misunderstanding. 'Required' is not the same as
> 'requested' in English (though they are in some latin languages).
>
> Steve McIntyre has requested the ban; but it has not been "required"
> yet ("shown to be needed").

Thanks for the explanation and sorry for the noise.

--
Rafael

Old 11-25-2008, 04:31 PM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Don Armstrong (don@debian.org):
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Has the d-d-a ban been lifted?
>
> There currently isn't a ban in place.[1] listmaster@l.d.o will likely
> be communicating privately with the individual(s) involved once we
> have come to consensus ourselves.[2] If some sort of punitive action
> is taken, d-private@l.d.o will be notified to allow DDs the
> opportunity to override listmaster@l.d.o.

Thanks, Don, for the clear answer.

Apparently, /me asking was still useful as I wasn't the only person
with English parsing problems on that matter. Going back on Steve's
mail makes it clear that the ban was just asked and not put in
place....but it is also clear that the misinterpretation was still
possible...

And, of course, sorry for assuming that listmasters would take a
punitive action without informing the right body (in that case,
d-private).