Old 11-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Bernd Eckenfels

Default Configuration files location for GNOME applet

In article <fb03d7b4797846e5f1fdaeb9bc3808a5.squirrel@webmail .vp44.net> you wrote:
> I recently developed a small GNOME applet and I wanted to share it among a
> few friends. It uses a couple of files to save settings and I was
> wondering what's the best location to store them.
> Is ~/.myapplet/ acceptable or should I use another folder?

Isnt property saving part of the GNOME API? Besides that, .myapplet would be
fine.

Gruss
Bernd

PS: http://library.gnome.org/devel/platform-overview/stable/gconf.html.en

Old 11-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le samedi 22 novembre 2008 Ă* 00:27 +0100, Andrew M. a Ă©crit :
> Hi.
> I recently developed a small GNOME applet and I wanted to share it among a
> few friends. It uses a couple of files to save settings and I was
> wondering what's the best location to store them.
> Is ~/.myapplet/ acceptable or should I use another folder?

If it’s an applet using libpanel-applet, you should really use GConf to
store the values so that the configuration can be instantiated once for
each instance of the applet.

If it’s merely an application using the notification area, you can use
~/.myapplet/ or ~/.gnome2/myapplet/, or course - but if you’re looking
for a way to store user settings, GConf is the recommended way as well.

Cheers,
--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:14 AM
Michael Biebl

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le samedi 22 novembre 2008 Ă* 00:27 +0100, Andrew M. a Ă©crit :
>> Hi.
>> I recently developed a small GNOME applet and I wanted to share it among a
>> few friends. It uses a couple of files to save settings and I was
>> wondering what's the best location to store them.
>> Is ~/.myapplet/ acceptable or should I use another folder?
>
> If it’s an applet using libpanel-applet, you should really use GConf to
> store the values so that the configuration can be instantiated once for
> each instance of the applet.
>
> If it’s merely an application using the notification area, you can use
> ~/.myapplet/ or ~/.gnome2/myapplet/, or course - but if you’re looking
> for a way to store user settings, GConf is the recommended way as well.

If you are not using GConf, I'd recommend to use the XDG basedir spec [1],
rather then ~/.myapplet/

Glib already has support for this, see the g_get_user_config_dir() function (I'd
recommend to install devhelp and libglib2.0-doc for easier access of the glib
API doc)

HTH,
Michael

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html