Old 11-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Adam C Powell IV

Default ITP: mpi-defaults -- Meta-packages depending on appropriate MPI -dev and -bin packages for each platform

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist

Package name: mpi-defaults
Version: 0.1
Author: Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
License: Undetermined

This new source package will produce two binary meta-packages:
default-mpi-dev and default-mpi-bin which depend on libopenmpi-dev and
openmpi-bin respectively on the platforms where they are available, and
lam4-dev and lam-runtime on the others. A third default-mpi-dbg might
also depend on libopenmpi-dbg, though there is no corresponding lam
package.

Background:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/10/msg00097.html

-Adam
--
GPG fingerprint: D54D 1AEE B11C CE9B A02B C5DD 526F 01E8 564E E4B6

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/

Old 11-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Dirk Eddelbuettel

On 19 November 2008 at 09:40, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
| Package: wnpp
| Severity: wishlist
|
| Package name: mpi-defaults
| Version: 0.1
| Author: Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>
| License: Undetermined
|
| This new source package will produce two binary meta-packages:
| default-mpi-dev and default-mpi-bin which depend on libopenmpi-dev and
| openmpi-bin respectively on the platforms where they are available, and
| lam4-dev and lam-runtime on the others. A third default-mpi-dbg might
| also depend on libopenmpi-dbg, though there is no corresponding lam
| package.
|
| Background:
| http://lists.debian.org/debian-science/2008/10/msg00097.html

Good stuff! The only question I have is with respect to the naming. We
sometimes call preferences 'sensible-$FOO'. I don't really like

default-mpi-{dev,mpi}

because is stresses 'default' as the first word. Apt-get search reveals that
we have exactly one precedent in default-java-*.

I think we should put either debian or mpi first. How about

mpi-default-{dev,bin}

or even

mpi-debian-default-{dev,bin}

to make it even clearer that it is just 'us' (ie Debian) defining a default
for us, rather misconstruing that more than two decades (I'm guessing) of
competing mpi implementations have ended ? ;-)

Comments ?

Dirk