Old 11-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Hideki Yamane

Default Japanese Font Transition (step for applications)

Hi,

We - Japanese font maintainers - have finished transition from obsolete
Kochi (東風) fonts to other Japanese fonts. And now, some packages needs
to be fixed to deal with that. Affected packages that we have already
known are below.

- libpango1.0-common
- xpdf-japanese
- gs-cjk-resource
- xdvik-ja
- vflib2
- mgp
- libkiten1
- kiten
- kanjipad
- kanatest
- gjiten
- advi-examples
- advi

See http://wiki.debian.org/Fonts/JapanesefontpkgProposal
We are in 3rd step "Virtual package is approved" (in unstable and testing).

Those packages need changes (yes "CHANGE" , such as

* depends on ttf-japanese-gothic/mincho, not ttf-kochi-gothic/mincho
* grep hard-corded "kochi" :-), then fix it.

First of all, dependency fix is needed. So, maintainers, could you fix
your debian/control file, please? or we'll to sent a bug report and patches
for them.

If you have a question, please ask me. Thanks.

Hideki Yamane henrich @ debian.or.jp/iijmio-mail.jp
http://wiki.debian.org/HidekiYamane

Old 11-18-2008, 03:11 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 19 novembre 2008 00:43 +0900, Hideki Yamane a crit :
> - libpango1.0-common

Fixed in our SVN.

> If you have a question, please ask me. Thanks.

Yes, I think there is a typo in ttf-hanazono: it provides
ttf-japanse-mincho instead of ttf-japanese-mincho.

BTW, the approach you have taken (depend on a virtual package only) will
make APT select a random font from those providing the virtual package
instead of having a sane default. You should either make ttf-japanese-*
packages that depend on the appropriate set of alternatives, or ask
people to depend on ttf-sazanami-* | ttf-japanese-* instead.

Cheers,
--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Junichi Uekawa

Hi,

At Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:11:18 +0100,
Josselin Mouette wrote:

> [1 <text/plain; ISO-8859-15 (quoted-printable)>]
> Le mercredi 19 novembre 2008 00:43 +0900, Hideki Yamane a crit :
> > - libpango1.0-common
>
> Fixed in our SVN.
>
> > If you have a question, please ask me. Thanks.
>
> Yes, I think there is a typo in ttf-hanazono: it provides
> ttf-japanse-mincho instead of ttf-japanese-mincho.

I think a bug should be filed and fixed.
Or have you (Hideki) already uploaded ?

> BTW, the approach you have taken (depend on a virtual package only) will
> make APT select a random font from those providing the virtual package
> instead of having a sane default. You should either make ttf-japanese-*
> packages that depend on the appropriate set of alternatives, or ask
> people to depend on ttf-sazanami-* | ttf-japanese-* instead.

You are correct. I'm a bit ambivalent on that, since we've seen a
pattern that new and better fonts pop up every year (full-featured
free fonts are a very nascent thing in Japanese), and I think a
standard tasksel installation of Debian should already satisfy the
dependency with a good enough font of the year.

regards,
junichi
--
dancer@{netfort.gr.jp,debian.org}

Old 11-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Josselin Mouette

Le jeudi 20 novembre 2008 22:08 +0900, Junichi Uekawa a crit :
> You are correct. I'm a bit ambivalent on that, since we've seen a
> pattern that new and better fonts pop up every year (full-featured
> free fonts are a very nascent thing in Japanese), and I think a
> standard tasksel installation of Debian should already satisfy the
> dependency with a good enough font of the year.

In which case the correct approach, I think, is to remove all the
ttf-japanese-* in Provides:, and upload new ttf-japanese-gothic/mincho
packages that depend on a set of alternative fonts, with a reasonable
default.

Cheers,
--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM
"Noritada Kobayashi"

Hi,

2008/11/20 Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp>:
> Hi,
>
> At Tue, 18 Nov 2008 17:11:18 +0100,
> Josselin Mouette wrote:
>>
>> [1 <text/plain; ISO-8859-15 (quoted-printable)>]
>> Le mercredi 19 novembre 2008 00:43 +0900, Hideki Yamane a crit :
>> > - libpango1.0-common
>>
>> Fixed in our SVN.
>>
>> > If you have a question, please ask me. Thanks.
>>
>> Yes, I think there is a typo in ttf-hanazono: it provides
>> ttf-japanse-mincho instead of ttf-japanese-mincho.
>
> I think a bug should be filed and fixed.
> Or have you (Hideki) already uploaded ?

FYI: the maintainer is Nobuhiro Iwamatsu, not Hideki. ;-)

Thanks,

-nori

Old 11-21-2008, 06:30 AM
"Nobuhiro Iwamatsu"

Hi,

2008/11/19 Josselin Mouette <joss@debian.org>:
> Le mercredi 19 novembre 2008 00:43 +0900, Hideki Yamane a crit :
>> - libpango1.0-common
>
> Fixed in our SVN.
>
>> If you have a question, please ask me. Thanks.
>
> Yes, I think there is a typo in ttf-hanazono: it provides
> ttf-japanse-mincho instead of ttf-japanese-mincho.

Oops, This is typo.
I fixed. Thanks!

regards,
Nobuhiro