Old 11-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Raphael Hertzog

Default /tools removed from mirrors

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Loadlin-packager: CCed you, as you want to stop building the byhand
> > component.
>
> Well loadlin should at least be kept on the installation CDs. And to my
> knowledge the CD image build system fetches it from ftp mirrors...

Indeed, at least the etch version does and the lenny one probably too. It might
not fail but the result will be different…

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Le best-seller français mis * jour pour Debian Etch :

Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Joerg Jaspert

>> And noone complained when I asked about it in August this year, so now
>> its gone.
> Uh, I wasn't yet subscribed to debian-devel at the time and thus
> wasn't aware of that goal. It sure is still useful for blind people
> booting from a DOS bootdisk with a screen reader (still so far the only
> accessible "bootloader")

If we really need it for some support I'm happy to put those neccessary
files back. The best way for this would be an upload of a package
(or multiple) including a byhand component for the part to be put into
tools/. Like, for the unzip stuff one of unzip, the gzip part via gzip,
etc. as had been done with loadlin in the past.

>> Loadlin-packager: CCed you, as you want to stop building the byhand
>> component.
> Well loadlin should at least be kept on the installation CDs. And to my
> knowledge the CD image build system fetches it from ftp mirrors...

tools/ is currently an empty dir (so debian-cd wont fail).

--
bye, Joerg
SUSE = Soll Unix Sein, Eigentlich.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Samuel Thibault

Joerg Jaspert, le Tue 18 Nov 2008 08:47:43 +0100, a crit :
> >> And noone complained when I asked about it in August this year, so now
> >> its gone.
> > Uh, I wasn't yet subscribed to debian-devel at the time and thus
> > wasn't aware of that goal. It sure is still useful for blind people
> > booting from a DOS bootdisk with a screen reader (still so far the only
> > accessible "bootloader")
>
> If we really need it for some support I'm happy to put those neccessary
> files back. The best way for this would be an upload of a package
> (or multiple) including a byhand component for the part to be put into
> tools/. Like, for the unzip stuff one of unzip, the gzip part via gzip,
> etc. as had been done with loadlin in the past.

Do you believe that the unzip stuff will really get into Lenny?

I'm asking because the loadlin package used to upload a complete .zip,
but that is useless for the user if he doesn't have unzip to unpack it.
And that being said, I have always been wondering whether we shouldn't
just put loadlin.exe and its manual as loadlin.txt which is a lot easier
to use than having to unpack it first...

Samuel