Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 PM
Bernd Zeimetz

Default Packages with empty directories

Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Maybe we could check for empty directories except for a number of common
> false positives (like the python-support directories or /var/games), and
> for the rest, grep in the maintainer scripts.

zope-common needs /var/lib/zope and the Zope packages come with somthing
matched by /var/lib/zope[0-9.]+

--
Bernd Zeimetz
<bernd@bzed.de> <http://bzed.de/>

Old 11-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Daniel Schepler

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 04:08:44 am Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mercredi 21 novembre 2007 à 05:20 +0100, Michael Biebl a écrit :
> > Imho adding a lintian check for empty /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib and
> > /usr/include directories (as created by dh-make) would be a good start.
>
> Maybe we could check for empty directories except for a number of common
> false positives (like the python-support directories or /var/games), and
> for the rest, grep in the maintainer scripts.

Some of the common false positives are /var/lib/<pkg> or /etc/<pkg>, or
subdirectories under one of those. Since <pkg> often doesn't match the
binary package name exactly, I don't see any easy way to detect these cases.
--
Daniel Schepler

Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 PM
Daniel Schepler

On Tuesday 20 November 2007 11:20:17 pm Michael Biebl wrote:
> Imho adding a lintian check for empty /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib and
> /usr/include directories (as created by dh-make) would be a good start.

I wrote a lintian check implementing the conservative approach, and submitted
a patch as bug #452316. It lists empty directories matching directories from
base-files, as well as any empty subdirectories of
/usr/include, /usr/share/man, and some others where they clearly make no
sense.
--
Daniel Schepler

Old 11-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Neil Williams

Daniel Schepler wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 November 2007 11:20:17 pm Michael Biebl wrote:
>> Imho adding a lintian check for empty /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /usr/lib and
>> /usr/include directories (as created by dh-make) would be a good start.
>
> I wrote a lintian check implementing the conservative approach, and submitted
> a patch as bug #452316. It lists empty directories matching directories from
> base-files, as well as any empty subdirectories of
> /usr/include, /usr/share/man, and some others where they clearly make no
> sense.

The only problem with the patch is that /usr/lib/perl5/ is often
included just by creating a perl package. I've tried to get rid of it
but it *is* created during 'make install' by use ExtUtils::MakeMaker;
but it is not necessarily used by package files. Another problem is that
the creation of the directory often doesn't show up in the build log - I
can force it by running make install without sudo or a prefix:

Warning: You do not have permissions to install into
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8 at /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/Install.pm
line 114.
mkdir /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8/XML: Permission denied at
/usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils/Install.pm line 176

It seems that ExtUtils::MakeMaker insists on using both /usr/lib/perl5
and /usr/share/perl5 whether the module itself uses them or not.

Maybe someone from the Debian Perl group can show me where I'm going
wrong or maybe CDBS can check for empty directories but everytime I
remove debian/tmp/usr/lib/perl5, it gets recreated, despite not having
any mention of it in the package files.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 11-22-2007, 10:55 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 21 novembre 2007 à 14:08 -0500, Daniel Schepler a écrit :
> Some of the common false positives are /var/lib/<pkg> or /etc/<pkg>, or
> subdirectories under one of those. Since <pkg> often doesn't match the
> binary package name exactly, I don't see any easy way to detect these cases.

What I'm suggesting is to grep for them in maintainer scripts. Any empty
directory created in /etc and which isn't used in the maintainer scripts
is likely to be a mistake.

OTOH, subdirectories of /var/lib, /var/log and /var/cache look like good
candidates for exclusion.

--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Mark Brown

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 12:55:50PM +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> What I'm suggesting is to grep for them in maintainer scripts. Any empty
> directory created in /etc and which isn't used in the maintainer scripts
> is likely to be a mistake.

You'd need to check binaries as well - quite a few things use conf.d
style configuration.