Old 09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Franklin PIAT

Default Lenny upgrade-advisor

Hello,

I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
explicit.

It isn't finished. My roadmap include :
* More explicit messages (!)
* Add links to Release Notes.
* Check for discontinued/renamed modules.
* Fix bug with dash (it switch debug)
* Find appropriate description, so users don't rely exclusively on it.

But there are many other tests that could be implemented, like :
selinux, kernel's origine, detect sysfs, check free space, check
filesystems, detect live-cd, NFS and read-only root, detect risks of
non-persistent device names after reboot, etc.
Finally it could list applications that may require substantial
intervention from the user to work after upgrade.

Your comments are welcome, your patchs too (and a sponsor for some space
on alioth?).

The script is available at :
http://www.klabs.be/~fpiat/linux/debian/proposals/2008-09-07_Upgrade_advisor/

Franklin

bash upgrade-advisor --verbose
I: Checking Operating System.
I: Checking Operating system version
I: Checking the presence of required utils
I: Checking architecture
I: Checking /etc/apt.sources
I: Retreiving installed packages data (this can take a while).
I: Fetching lenny (main, i386) Package_list.
I: Check contrib and non-free packages, since last release.
I: The following contrib or non-free packages were fount.
I: | agrep
I: | libbeagle0
I: | python-beagle
I: Checking installed packages, for obsolete packages.
W: Obsolete and Locally Created Packages should be removed.
I: | di-netboot-assistant
I: | live-helper
I: Check discontinued packages, in next release.
W: Following package aren't available in lenny.
I: | libecal1.2-6
I: | libeel2-2.14
I: | libgail17
I: | liblzo1
I: | libmozjs0d
I: | libnss3-0d
I: | libwnck18
I: | libxklavier10
I: | libxul0d
I: Checking installed packages, for orhpan packages.
I: The following 'Orphaned Packages' have been reported by deborphan.
I: | libsasl2
I: | libc6-xen
I: | libconsole
I: Checking /dev filesystem.
I: Checking Xen Hypervisor.
W: An hypervisor (xen) was detected.
I: It may require additional configuration steps.
I: Verify kernel availablability/compatibility before upgrade.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> and a sponsor for some space on alioth?

That should not be nessecary, you can create a login and register a
project (which is then manually approved) without being a DD.

In addition you can create personal git/mercurial/darcs repositories
without a project:

http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Hg
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Darcs

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 09-08-2008, 04:39 AM
Christian Perrier

Quoting Franklin PIAT (fpiat@bigfoot.com):

> * More explicit messages (!)

internationalized*?

Old 09-08-2008, 06:18 AM
Raphael Hertzog

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > and a sponsor for some space on alioth?
>
> That should not be nessecary, you can create a login and register a
> project (which is then manually approved) without being a DD.

Please don't advise people to create Alioth projects for a simple script.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Stephen Gran

This one time, at band camp, Paul Wise said:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > and a sponsor for some space on alioth?
>
> That should not be nessecary, you can create a login and register a
> project (which is then manually approved) without being a DD.

As has been mentioned, you don't need a full project for a small script,
or even just for hosting. You can always host things in your home space
on alioth.

> In addition you can create personal git/mercurial/darcs repositories
> without a project:
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Git
> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Hg
> http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Darcs

~/public_bzr should work now. It's not as polished as the others, but
as always, patches welcome
| ,'`. Stephen Gran |
| : :' : sgran@debian.org |
| `. `' Debian user, admin, and developer |
| `- http://www.debian.org |

Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 2:44 AM, Stephen Gran <sgran@debian.org> wrote:

> As has been mentioned, you don't need a full project for a small script,
> or even just for hosting. You can always host things in your home space
> on alioth.

Fair enough.

> ~/public_bzr should work now. It's not as polished as the others, but
> as always, patches welcome

Updated the wiki page:

http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Bzr

If there is anything that needs fixing, please do so.

Old 09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
"Alexander Reichle-Schmehl"

Hi!

Am 7.9.2008 schrieb "Franklin PIAT" <fpiat@bigfoot.com>:

>I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
>sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
>advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
>explicit.

Wonderfull idea! Are you "synchronizing" with the release notes?
Meaning, that you things you test, are documented there and vice versa?

Best regards,
Alexander

Old 09-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Franklin PIAT

Alexander Reichle-Schmehl wrote:
> Am 7.9.2008 schrieb "Franklin PIAT":
>>I've worked on an upgrade advisor tool for Lenny. The idea is to do some
>>sanity check to then warn the users of potential problems (and also
>>advertise some best practices). The example below should be quite
>>explicit.
>
> Wonderfull idea! Are you "synchronizing" with the release notes?
> Meaning, that you things you test, are documented there and vice versa?

Good suggestion.

>> * Add links to Release Notes.

For each test, I want to have a link to some official docs (Release
Notes, Installation guide, etc). This is now implemented.
It would be great to test all entries in the release notes, but it often
requires a very good understanding of the problem. (If one knows how to
test it, your patches are welcome).

One thing I wish (but I can't do it alone), is to list/detect all the
applications that require user intervention for the migration (I mean
any intervention other than debconf).

It's now hosted on collab-maint[1]. As usually, contributions are welcome.

Thanks you all for comments (both on this ML, and private email).

Franklin

[1] http://git.debian.org/?p=collab-maint/upgrade-advisor.git;a=summary

Old 09-10-2008, 08:27 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> One thing I wish (but I can't do it alone), is to list/detect all the
> applications that require user intervention for the migration (I mean
> any intervention other than debconf).

The nfs/mount issue is one: 493095/498350

Old 09-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Josselin Mouette

Le mercredi 10 septembre 2008 Ã* 16:27 +0800, Paul Wise a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> > One thing I wish (but I can't do it alone), is to list/detect all the
> > applications that require user intervention for the migration (I mean
> > any intervention other than debconf).
>
> The nfs/mount issue is one: 493095/498350

BTW I don’t get why Breaks: would fix the issue if Conflicts: does not.

--
.'`.
`- our own. Resistance is futile.