Old 09-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Noah Slater

Default Anyone looked at Chromium for Debian yet?

Hey,

Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?

http://code.google.com/chromium/
http://dev.chromium.org/developers/
http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome/

Looks like a 3-clause BSD, was going to check out the code and scour it for
potential DFSG issues but my downlink was slow.

>From what I gather, a GNU/Linux build might be possible, with a bit of massaging
here and there... though I obviously haven't done much research into this yet.

I notice that as of yesterday evening, no one had filed an ITP.

Best,

--
Noah Slater, http://bytesexual.org/nslater

Old 09-03-2008, 01:17 PM
"Miriam Ruiz"

2008/9/3 Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org>:
> Hey,
>
> Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?
>
> http://code.google.com/chromium/
> http://dev.chromium.org/developers/
> http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome/
>
> Looks like a 3-clause BSD, was going to check out the code and scour it for
> potential DFSG issues but my downlink was slow.

I've downloaded it and started to play with the code. It doesn't work
yet neither in Linux, nor in 64 bits.

Greetings,
Miry

[1] http://dev.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/build-instructions-linux
[2] http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/64-bit-support

Old 09-03-2008, 01:24 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Noah Slater wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?
>
> http://code.google.com/chromium/
> http://dev.chromium.org/developers/
> http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome/
>
> Looks like a 3-clause BSD, was going to check out the code and scour it for
> potential DFSG issues but my downlink was slow.
>
>>From what I gather, a GNU/Linux build might be possible, with a bit of massaging
> here and there... though I obviously haven't done much research into this yet.
>
> I notice that as of yesterday evening, no one had filed an ITP.
>
> Best,

Google stands it doesn't available under Linux, what do you suggest to
package?

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF

Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva

Em Qua, 2008-09-03 às 15:17 +0200, Miriam Ruiz escreveu:
> 2008/9/3 Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org>:
> > Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?
> I've downloaded it and started to play with the code. It doesn't work
> yet neither in Linux, nor in 64 bits.

A friend of mine reported[0] a successful build in Debian.

Greetings.

0:
https://listas.dcc.ufmg.br/pipermail/grad041/2008-September/022464.html
It sais: I compiled it here nicely in Debian. I had only to change a
little bit in the source of __tt_main_proc.c, which made a native call
to Windows' systray.

--
marcot
Página: http://marcotmarcot.googlepages.com/

Old 09-03-2008, 01:35 PM
Peter Clapham

Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:

Em Qua, 2008-09-03 às 15:17 +0200, Miriam Ruiz escreveu:

2008/9/3 Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org>:

Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?

I've downloaded it and started to play with the code. It doesn't work
yet neither in Linux, nor in 64 bits.

A friend of mine reported[0] a successful build in Debian.

Greetings.

0:
https://listas.dcc.ufmg.br/pipermail/grad041/2008-September/022464.html
It sais: I compiled it here nicely in Debian. I had only to change a
little bit in the source of __tt_main_proc.c, which made a native call
to Windows' systray.

It's going here too. Look closely at the small print.. .all your
searches are belong to us (google)

Enjoy

Old 09-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Mike Hommey

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:13:34PM +0100, Noah Slater <nslater@bytesexual.org> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?
>
> http://code.google.com/chromium/
> http://dev.chromium.org/developers/
> http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome/
>
> Looks like a 3-clause BSD, was going to check out the code and scour it for
> potential DFSG issues but my downlink was slow.
>
> >From what I gather, a GNU/Linux build might be possible, with a bit of massaging
> here and there... though I obviously haven't done much research into this yet.
>
> I notice that as of yesterday evening, no one had filed an ITP.

I would advise anyone interested in packaging Chromium to not consider
it before Lenny release and help fixing the annoying RC bugs in
iceweasel/xulrunner instead.

Mike

Old 09-03-2008, 01:41 PM
Noah Slater

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 10:32:12AM -0300, Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva wrote:
> A friend of mine reported[0] a successful build in Debian.
[...]
> https://listas.dcc.ufmg.br/pipermail/grad041/2008-September/022464.html
> It sais: I compiled it here nicely in Debian. I had only to change a
> little bit in the source of __tt_main_proc.c, which made a native call
> to Windows' systray.

Ah yes, I was sure I had seen something about it working...

I concur that we have bigger things to be worrying about right now, was just
interested in a quick canvas of opinions, thoughts &c.

--
Noah Slater, http://bytesexual.org/nslater

Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
"Franklin PIAT"

Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:13:34PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
>>
>> Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?
>>
> I would advise anyone interested in packaging Chromium to not consider
> it before Lenny release and help fixing the annoying RC bugs in
> iceweasel/xulrunner instead.

<off-topic>
<flames-sandbox>
That's right, but at the same time some of us also want to have
some fun in Debian.
</flames-sandbox>
</off-topic>

Happy hacking,

Franklin

Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Mike Hommey

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 05:44:45PM +0200, Franklin PIAT <fpiat@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> Mike Hommey wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 02:13:34PM +0100, Noah Slater wrote:
> >>
> >> Has anyone looked at packaging Chromium for Debian yet?
> >>
> > I would advise anyone interested in packaging Chromium to not consider
> > it before Lenny release and help fixing the annoying RC bugs in
> > iceweasel/xulrunner instead.
>
> <off-topic>
> <flames-sandbox>
> That's right, but at the same time some of us also want to have
> some fun in Debian.

I want fun, too. Maybe I should orphan these packages.

> </flames-sandbox>
> </off-topic>

Mike

Old 09-03-2008, 04:07 PM
"Paul Wise"

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> wrote:

> I want fun, too. Maybe I should orphan these packages.

Please try the chromium package already in Debian instead.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise