Old 08-31-2008, 01:47 PM
Neil Williams

Default Unsafe storage device unmounting

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 13:51 +0200, Cesare Leonardi wrote:
> Cesare Leonardi wrote:
> > In May i've sent the following mail to debian-gtk-gnome to signal this
> > problem but since nothing happened so far, i file a bug:

> > Since some days i've noted (updated Debian Sid) that when i right-click
> > on a usb stick icon and select "Unmount volume", the icon disappear
> > immediately but the unmount progress window doesn't appear and the
> > device is still mounted for some seconds.

Have you disabled dbus notifications? The point at which the icon
disappears is not the point at which the drive is safe to remove. DBus
normally raises a notification window "Data is being written to the
device" followed by "Device is now safe to remove".

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 08-31-2008, 04:57 PM
Ron Johnson

In May i've sent the following mail to debian-gtk-gnome to signal this
problem but since nothing happened so far, i file a bug:

Since some days i've noted (updated Debian Sid) that when i right-click
on a usb stick icon and select "Unmount volume", the icon disappear
immediately but the unmount progress window doesn't appear and the
device is still mounted for some seconds.

Have you disabled dbus notifications? The point at which the icon
disappears is not the point at which the drive is safe to remove. DBus
normally raises a notification window "Data is being written to the
device" followed by "Device is now safe to remove".

How does one check whether dbus notification is enabled?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-31-2008, 05:26 PM
Neil Williams

On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 11:57 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> > Have you disabled dbus notifications? The point at which the icon
> > disappears is not the point at which the drive is safe to remove. DBus
> > normally raises a notification window "Data is being written to the
> > device" followed by "Device is now safe to remove".
>
> How does one check whether dbus notification is enabled?

Checking that dbus itself is working - whether the wastebasket shows as
full after deleting a file in nautilus, 'ps waux | grep dbus', 'dpkg -l
notification-daemon', whether other applications like Rhythmbox are able
to show notifications when configured to do so.

The original bug report #433211 does not include the usual list of
dependencies and versions so basic things like this cannot be checked,
possibly because the bug was filed direct from t'bird instead of using a
bug reporting tool.

Cesare, please use reportbug to generate the usual list of dependencies
for the program you think is responsible for this bug then send that
list to the bug report. Thanks.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 08-31-2008, 05:31 PM
Bernd Eckenfels

In article <48BA85B6.3060802@ngi.it> you wrote:
> Many times i've observed that the cache sync to the usb pen drive
> happens *after* the disk icon has disappeared from Gnome desktop, in
> particular with FAT32 filesystem (seems that cache flush are much more
> fast on FAT16).

This is especially bad with USB harddisks, those tend to buffer the data
quite long before writing it out.

> For safety now i use to:
> - unmount the disk right-clicking on it;

You can however simply use the umount in terminal window in the first place

Gruss
Bernd

Old 09-01-2008, 02:08 AM
Cesare Leonardi

Neil Williams wrote:

Have you disabled dbus notifications? The point at which the icon
disappears is not the point at which the drive is safe to remove. DBus
normally raises a notification window "Data is being written to the
device" followed by "Device is now safe to remove".

Mmh, i feel you are near to the problem even if...
No, i've not disabled dbus notification neither i've ever tweaked it.
Moreover "notification-daemon" is installed, i can see notification
messages from other apps like Rhythmbox and the trashcan icon change
depending on its full/empty status.

From my first mail to debian-gtk-gnome (May 2007), i have never seen
any notification after clicking on "Unmount volume".
I use unstable since 2005: maybe there are some conffile that was not
updated correctly, in particular when the progress bar taken from Ubuntu
was removed.
By the way, good to know how a good working Gnome environment should
behave. :-)

As you asked in another mail, i append the information collected by
"reportbug gnome" (quoted to avoid Thunderbird to wrap lines):

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
APT prefers unstable
APT policy: (500, 'unstable')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.26-1-686 (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_US, LC_CTYPE=en_US (charmap=ISO-8859-1)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/bash

Versions of packages gnome depends on:
ii arj 3.10.22-6 archiver for .arj files
ii avahi-daemon 0.6.23-2 Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD daemon
ii bluez-gnome 0.27-1 Bluetooth utilities for GNOME
ii epiphany-extensions 2.22.2-1 Extensions for Epiphany web browse
ii evolution-exchange 2.22.3.dfsg-1 Exchange plugin for the Evolution
ii evolution-plugins 2.22.3.1-1 standard plugins for Evolution
ii evolution-webcal 2.21.92-1 webcal: URL handler for GNOME and
ii gdm-themes 0.6 Themes for the GNOME Display Manag

ii gnome-app-install 0.5.5.1-1 GNOME Application Installer
ii gnome-desktop-environment 1:2.22.2~4 The GNOME Desktop Environment
ii gnome-games 1:2.22.3-2 games for the GNOME desktop
ii gnome-spell 1.0.7-1 GNOME/Bonobo component for spell c
ii gnome-themes-extras 0.9.0.deb0.4 various themes for the GNOME 2 des
ii gnome-vfs-obexftp 0.4-1 GNOME VFS module for OBEX FTP
ii gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg 0.10.4-3 FFmpeg plugin for GStreamer
ii gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly 0.10.8-1 GStreamer plugins from the "ugly"
ii libpam-gnome-keyring 2.22.3-1 PAM module to unlock the GNOME key

ii p7zip 4.58~dfsg.1-1 7zr file archiver with high compre
ii rhythmbox 0.11.6-1 music player and organizer for GNO
ii serpentine 0.9-5 An application for creating audio
ii swfdec-mozilla 0.6.0-4 Mozilla plugin for SWF files (Macr

ii synaptic 0.62.1 Graphical package manager
ii system-config-printer 1.0.0-2 graphical interface to configure t
ii totem-mozilla 2.22.2-3 Totem Mozilla plugin
ii transmission-gtk 1.33-1 free, lightweight BitTorrent clien

Versions of packages gnome recommends:
pn empathy | pidgin <none> (no description available)
pn gdebi <none> (no description available)
ii gnome-games-extra-data 2.22.0-1 games for the GNOME desktop (extra
ii gnome-office 1:2.22.2~4 The GNOME Office suite
ii gparted 0.3.8-1+b1 GNOME partition editor
ii gthumb 3:2.10.8-1 an image viewer and browser
ii hal-cups-utils 0.6.16-2 Utilities to detect and configure
ii hardinfo 0.4.2.3-5 Displays system information

pn liferea | blam <none> (no description available)
ii menu-xdg 0.3 freedesktop.org menu compliant win
pn network-manager-gnome <none> (no description available)
ii tomboy 0.10.2-1 desktop note taking program using
ii tsclient 0.150-1 front-end for viewing of remote de

pn update-notifier <none> (no description available)

Versions of packages gnome suggests:
pn gnome-dbg <none> (no description available)
pn openoffice.org-evolution <none> (no description available)
ii openoffice.org-gnome 1:2.4.1-8 GNOME Integration for OpenOffice.o

-- no debconf information

Many thanks for your help.
Regards.

Cesare.