Old 08-31-2008, 01:17 AM
Sami Liedes

Default 25+2 packages with (Glade) generated C source files without the source

[Note that I'm not subscribed to either d-d or d-legal so if you want
to ask me something, the quickest way is to Cc: me]

Hi,

I grepped the source tarballs in Lenny (testing) main section for the
note "DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - it is generated by Glade." which
indicates the file is generated using the Glade UI editor. Then I
checked if these packages have any *.glade* files, which would be the
Glade projects, i.e. the "source code" (at least in the GPL sense,
"preferred form of modification") for these. For those of these
packages for which this is not a false alarm, I believe this would
fail DFSG #2, and for those being licensed under GPL, it would
probably make them non-distributable.

I went through some of these and checked them by hand, and generally
couldn't find the glade project anywhere in the source tarball (it
might be in the diff, I didn't check for that - would that BTW be OK,
to have source code in diff only?). The only questionable case I found
by this sampling is dia, where the file is "generated by Glade and
then hand-coded to make GNOME optional and add the underline for
accelerated buttons".

I haven't filed bugs for any of these, save for tangogps which was the
first case I encountered and after which I got the idea to do this.

In addition to the cases I found in main, the packages easyspice and
gtktrain in contrib seem suspect too (but I didn't take such a close
look).

Here's the list of the 25 packages and the relevant source files:

bygfoot
src/support.c
src/misc2_interface.c
src/interface.c
src/misc2_interface.h
src/support.h
src/options_interface.c
src/options_interface.h
src/misc3_interface.c
src/misc_interface.c
src/interface.h
src/misc3_interface.h
src/misc_interface.h

dia
app/sheets_dialog.c: * DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE - it is generated by Glade and then hand-coded
app/sheets_dialog.c- * to make GNOME optional and add the underline
app/sheets_dialog.c- * for accelerated buttons.
app/sheets_dialog.h

gcompris
src/boards/gtans_support.h
src/boards/gtans_interface.h

gcrontab
gcrontab-0.8.0/src/support.c
gcrontab-0.8.0/src/interface.c
gcrontab-0.8.0/src/support.h
gcrontab-0.8.0/src/interface.h
src/support.c
src/interface.c
src/support.h
src/interface.h
*** NOTE: yes, I did report also the bug that the source is there twice

ggz-gnome-client
motd-editor/interface.c
motd-editor/interface.h
src/support.c