-   -   Debian on Zaurus ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/151250-debian-zaurus.html)

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 08-30-2008 09:32 AM

Debian on Zaurus ?

Dear developers,

with great interest I read your message of running debian on freerunner.

According to this, I asked myself, if there might be an easy way to install
debian on a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. I googled, but I only found some homebrew
images and ways of install with very oold kernels (or japanese environments
and so on).

I hope, that the knowledge of "installing debian on freerunner" might be
easyly transferred to be able to install debian on the Zaurus machine. The
Zaurus got a strong-arm cpu, as well as the freerunner.

Maybe it might be much more easy to build a kernel and the required content on
the sd-card ? The main problem, IMO is to create the kernel. It must be in
the flashable format (at the moment I am using angstrom-distribution). If a
kernel can be flashed, you need the rest of the content (the "initrd") which
must be put onto the sd-card. A file in tgz-style should do it (can be
unpacked onto the sd-card using a cardreader).

Are there efforts at the moment to get debian in an easy way(!) on the
Zaurus-series ?

I am no coder, but feel free to ask for help (i.e. testing and feedback)

Regards

Hans

Neil Williams 08-30-2008 10:13 AM

Debian on Zaurus ?

On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 11:32 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> with great interest I read your message of running debian on freerunner.
>
> According to this, I asked myself, if there might be an easy way to install
> debian on a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. I googled, but I only found some homebrew
> images and ways of install with very oold kernels (or japanese environments
> and so on).

Probably better to discuss this on the debian-embedded mailing list.
CC'd.

> I hope, that the knowledge of "installing debian on freerunner" might be
> easyly transferred to be able to install debian on the Zaurus machine. The
> Zaurus got a strong-arm cpu, as well as the freerunner.

Depending on the amount of storage available, you might want to use
Debian or Emdebian but Emdebian for armel is not ready yet.

--

Neil Williams
=============

BOCAHU Sébastien 08-30-2008 02:40 PM

Debian on Zaurus ?

Hi,

> According to this, I asked myself, if there might be an easy way to install
> debian on a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. I googled, but I only found some homebrew
> images and ways of install with very oold kernels (or japanese environments
> and so on).

I own a Zaurus (C1000 series) and i've worked on running Debian armel on it.
You can read some informations about it on this webpage: http://zecrazytux.net/Geeky_stuffs/Zaurus/

Ressources can be found at oesf.org/forum.

Debian armel (EABI) runs great on the Zaurus. You'll need a large storage on a SD card for the rootfs.

>> I hope, that the knowledge of "installing debian on freerunner" might be
>> easyly transferred to be able to install debian on the Zaurus machine. The
>> Zaurus got a strong-arm cpu, as well as the freerunner.

The mighty way to "install" debian on a C1000 is by running a on-flash already flashed kernel and a base filesystem on a SD card.

>Depending on the amount of storage available, you might want to use
>Debian or Emdebian but Emdebian for armel is not ready yet.

Debian armel used to run great some month ago :)
I haven't took care of my Z for many months due to lack of time...
But let's try it !

Have a good day !

Freely,

--

zecrazytux - Sebastien BOCAHU
http://zecrazytux.net/

"Hans-J. Ullrich" 08-30-2008 03:11 PM

Debian on Zaurus ?

Am Samstag, 30. August 2008 schrieb BOCAHU Sébastien:
> Hi,
>
> > According to this, I asked myself, if there might be an easy way to
> > install debian on a Sharp Zaurus SL-C1000. I googled, but I only found
> > some homebrew images and ways of install with very oold kernels (or
> > japanese environments and so on).
>
> I own a Zaurus (C1000 series) and i've worked on running Debian armel on
> it. You can read some informations about it on this webpage:
> http://zecrazytux.net/Geeky_stuffs/Zaurus/
>
> Ressources can be found at oesf.org/forum.
>
> Debian armel (EABI) runs great on the Zaurus. You'll need a large storage
> on a SD card for the rootfs.
>
> >> I hope, that the knowledge of "installing debian on freerunner" might be
> >> easyly transferred to be able to install debian on the Zaurus machine.
> >> The Zaurus got a strong-arm cpu, as well as the freerunner.
>
> The mighty way to "install" debian on a C1000 is by running a on-flash
> already flashed kernel and a base filesystem on a SD card.
>
> >Depending on the amount of storage available, you might want to use
> >Debian or Emdebian but Emdebian for armel is not ready yet.
>
> Debian armel used to run great some month ago :)
> I haven't took care of my Z for many months due to lack of time...
> But let's try it !
>

> Have a good day !
>
> Freely,
>
> --
>
> zecrazytux - Sebastien BOCAHU
> http://zecrazytux.net/
> zecrazytux@im.apinc.org

Hi Sebastien,

I am just trying to install debian on the Zaurus. There is a wiki of the
procedure, but it has a lot of mistakes in it.

This wiki:
http://www.oesf.org/index.php?title=Q16:_I_am_using_a_Cxx0_or_C1000._H ow_can_I_install_Debian_EABI_to_my_SD_card%3F

I improved and corrected all I found, but still working on it. The wiki seems
to be rather old.

At the moment, I try to get network access, but the kernel (yes, Angstrom
latest kernel 2.6.24 is running well!), does not see my card. This is still a
configuration problems.

The solutions cannot be used, as there are still i.e. mistakes, like dead
links.

Feedback will be sent, if required.

Cheers

Hans