-   -   [help] brltty: Java behaves strangely on different archs? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/151-help-brltty-java-behaves-strangely-different-archs.html)

Mario Lang 11-17-2007 10:57 PM

[help] brltty: Java behaves strangely on different archs?

Hi.

One of my packages (brltty) recently gained Java bindings for its API.
Now since I added the usage of gcj to brltty, I see that the java toolchain
seems to be quite out of sync on different archs in different ways.

At first everything worked here on amd64, but when I uploaded I saw
the i386 build failing[1], the builddeps were all there but the java bindings
are somehow not built and therefore dh_install fails.
Then I noticed in the same run that on arm, the build-deps couldn't be
satisfied[2].
Later on, the problem on i386 vanished magically[3] and it just autobuilds
fine there now. But the same problem as I saw on i386 originally
now seems to persist at least on alpha[4]. arm still can't install
the build-deps. This is about 2 months later since I first uploaded
the java-using version of brltty... I was originally hoping
this would all just sort out by itself. Now that I'd actually need
brltty to go to testing for other reasons, I am sort of lost.

This is a call for help. If you have any idea or can shed a little
light on the whole issue, please let me know what I can do to fix this
and get brltty in testing. I *know* I could remove the java support again,
but I'd like to make sure there is no other way before doing so.

[1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=i386&stamp=1188733192&file=log
[2] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=arm&stamp=1188732968&file=log
[3] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-7&arch=i386&stamp=1189354533&file=log
[4] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.9-2&arch=alpha&stamp=1195173383&file=log

--
CYa,
.'`. | Get my public key via finger mlang@db.debian.org

Michael Koch 11-18-2007 07:44 AM

On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 12:57:47AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
> Hi.
>
> One of my packages (brltty) recently gained Java bindings for its API.
> Now since I added the usage of gcj to brltty, I see that the java toolchain
> seems to be quite out of sync on different archs in different ways.
>
> At first everything worked here on amd64, but when I uploaded I saw
> the i386 build failing[1], the builddeps were all there but the java bindings
> are somehow not built and therefore dh_install fails.
> Then I noticed in the same run that on arm, the build-deps couldn't be
> satisfied[2].
> Later on, the problem on i386 vanished magically[3] and it just autobuilds
> fine there now. But the same problem as I saw on i386 originally
> now seems to persist at least on alpha[4]. arm still can't install
> the build-deps. This is about 2 months later since I first uploaded
> the java-using version of brltty... I was originally hoping
> this would all just sort out by itself. Now that I'd actually need
> brltty to go to testing for other reasons, I am sort of lost.
>
> This is a call for help. If you have any idea or can shed a little
> light on the whole issue, please let me know what I can do to fix this
> and get brltty in testing. I *know* I could remove the java support again,
> but I'd like to make sure there is no other way before doing so.
>
> [1] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=i386&stamp=1188733192&file=log

Was temporary.

> [2] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=arm&stamp=1188732968&file=log

GCJ is not really working on arm. You can just forget about this.
armel would be another case...but thats no official arch.

> [3] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-7&arch=i386&stamp=1189354533&file=log

Builds.

> [4] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.9-2&arch=alpha&stamp=1195173383&file=log

You should use /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj as JAVA_HOME with
java-gcj-compat(-dev) and not /usr. Never use /usr/bin/javac,
/usr/bin/java, etc. when building packages. You never really know where
this points to.

Cheers,
Michael

Mario Lang 11-20-2007 05:57 PM

Michael Koch <konqueror@gmx.de> writes:

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 12:57:47AM +0100, Mario Lang wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> One of my packages (brltty) recently gained Java bindings for its API.
>> Now since I added the usage of gcj to brltty, I see that the java toolchain
>> seems to be quite out of sync on different archs in different ways.
>>
>> At first everything worked here on amd64, but when I uploaded I saw
>> the i386 build failing[1], the builddeps were all there but the java bindings
>> are somehow not built and therefore dh_install fails.
>> Then I noticed in the same run that on arm, the build-deps couldn't be
>> satisfied[2].
>> Later on, the problem on i386 vanished magically[3] and it just autobuilds
>> fine there now. But the same problem as I saw on i386 originally
>> now seems to persist at least on alpha[4]. arm still can't install
>> the build-deps. This is about 2 months later since I first uploaded
>> the java-using version of brltty... I was originally hoping
>> this would all just sort out by itself. Now that I'd actually need
>> brltty to go to testing for other reasons, I am sort of lost.
>>
>> This is a call for help. If you have any idea or can shed a little
>> light on the whole issue, please let me know what I can do to fix this
>> and get brltty in testing. I *know* I could remove the java support again,
>> but I'd like to make sure there is no other way before doing so.
>>
>> [2] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.8-6&arch=arm&stamp=1188732968&file=log
>
> GCJ is not really working on arm. You can just forget about this.

Thanks, I've disabled building java bindings on arm now.

>> [4] http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=brltty&ver=3.9-2&arch=alpha&stamp=1195173383&file=log
>
> You should use /usr/lib/jvm/java-gcj as JAVA_HOME with
> java-gcj-compat(-dev) and not /usr. Never use /usr/bin/javac,
> /usr/bin/java, etc. when building packages. You never really know where
> this points to.

Thanks a lot for this one! The problem on alpha is now gone.