Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Ian Jackson

Default What should be on a rescue CD ? (was Debian Live Lenny Beta1)

Daniel Baumann writes ("Debian Live Lenny Beta1"):
> * The rescue flavour, containing system rescue and forensic related
> packages, is missing in this beta release.

I've spoken to Daniel and the main question here is determining the
right list of packages for the rescue flavour.

So in a spirit of consultation, and to make sure we don't leave out
anything small but vitally useful, please send me your suggestions for
things which we might forget to put on the rescue CD but which would
be very useful.

Obviously it will have the usual filesystem and disk management tools,
basic networking stuff, relevant security functionality, a selection
of text editors.

Hopefully we can fit enough compiler toolchain to be able to recompile
a Linux kernel. I think we will be avoiding X11. We'll have w3m and
probably an irc client :-) (but which one?)

What hex editor(s) should it have ? How important is it to have
python, tcl, ruby or other scripting languages ? Which ONE version
of Emacs ? Both nvi _and_ elvis ?

etc.

Please send replies directly to me and don't worry about duplicating
what other people send. On the other hand please don't email me if
all you can think of is obvious thinks like fdisk, mdadm, mkfs,
dmsetup, lilo, grub, ...

The current list (which I haven't added even my suggestions to yet)
is at
http://git.debian.net/?p=live-helper.git;a=blob;f=lists/rescue
(I am told - I can't check right now because alioth seems to be down)

We may end up with two CDs - a heavy and a small one - depending on
what our list of packages looks like.

Ian.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Ian Jackson

Old 08-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Mark Allums

Ian Jackson wrote:

Which ONE version

of Emacs ? Both nvi _and_ elvis ?

Consider something akin to pico/nano as well. Something very small and
lightweight and easy to use. Something for the "near misses" in the
experience department: someone who is able to install and run Debian
(mostly) but still is a bit green/"wet behind the ears" when it comes to
something like a rescue.

Mark Allums

Old 08-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Daniel Baumann

Ian Jackson wrote:
> The current list (which I haven't added even my suggestions to yet)
> is at
> http://git.debian.net/?p=live-helper.git;a=blob;f=lists/rescue
> (I am told - I can't check right now because alioth seems to be down)

for the records: git.debian.net is not alioth, and it (g.d.n) is not
down, so feel free to have a look at it.

--
Address: Daniel Baumann, Burgunderstrasse 3, CH-4562 Biberist
Email: daniel.baumann@panthera-systems.net

Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Michelle Konzack

Hello Ian,

Is "Midnight Commander" on the Rescue-CD? I have gotten (from the net)
some Rescue-CDs laking "mc" which I use daily on any of my systems...

> What hex editor(s) should it have ? How important is it to have
> python, tcl, ruby or other scripting languages ? Which ONE version
> of Emacs ? Both nvi _and_ elvis ?

mc/mcedit including its syntax highlighting

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
24V Electronic Engineer
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947 50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi

Old 09-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Michelle Konzack

Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-08-28 14:41:38, schrieb Mark Allums:
> Consider something akin to pico/nano as well. Something very small and
> lightweight and easy to use. Something for the "near misses" in the
> experience department: someone who is able to install and run Debian
> (mostly) but still is a bit green/"wet behind the ears" when it comes to
> something like a rescue.

This is, WHY I prefer "Midnight Commander" since it is a FileManager,
Viewer and Editor including syntax highlighting and of course, easy to
use.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Michelle Konzack