Old 08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Warren Togami

Default K12Linux LDM Login Screen Theme

Hi folks,

http://wtogami.livejournal.com/27610.html
I need a replacement for the login screen theme of LDM (thin clients
only) for the final release of Fedora Live LTSP Server. The rebranding
issue is described in this blog post.

http://fedorapeople.org/~wtogami/temp/k12linux-theme/ldm-login-screen.png
Screenshot of the LDM login screen. Warning, ugly alert!

http://fedorapeople.org/~wtogami/temp/k12linux-theme/
Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to run LDM in test mode to see
your customized theme in action. But the theme is very simple,
comprised of the various images in this directory.

Here is what is needed:
* New background, perhaps using more Fedora-like blues. The background
is limited to 256 colors.
* Optionally replacement for the icons if they are considered ugly.
* Replacement for logo.png. The new logo should be transparent, and LDM
itself will center it. The width may be wider than the current logo
because you can safely assume a minimum of 800x600 resolution on the client.

Here is the especially unique part:
logo.png will say "K12Linux", and under it something like "Sponsored by
Red Hat" possibly with a tiny Shadowman. It would be somewhat
reminiscent of the JBoss logo. This does require special approval from
Red Hat for us to do this. We will request approval from Red Hat Brand
Communications after we have a few proposed mock-ups.

K12Linux will be Fedora's education "brand", and as discussed earlier
this is a limited case where we want Red Hat to get a little recognition
from a specific type of user: school thin client deployments. Although
we have no product to sell them, we are happy if they only see our logo
at the login screen.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com