Old 08-22-2008, 04:32 AM
Daniel Dickinson

Default bitmap fonts: Can they be rejected by default instead of with manual intervention?

Hi all,

I recently had trouble with a website that uses Times and Helvetica
which I was able to determine was due to unscaled fonts not printing
well. It took some digging but I eventually, after exploring links and
browsing /etc/fonts based on a link about something else for mozilla
that I was led to by a message on debian-user, was able to find out
that

/etc/fonts/conf.d needed a symlink to ../conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf

which causes the font server to reject unscaled fonts.

Is there any reason this isn't the default behaviour? It seems to me
that problems for a regular user who has printing that mysteriously is
illegible are more likely than someone actually needing the unscaled
bitmap fonts on the font server.

Are there any packages that actual *require* the bitmapped unscaled
fonts? Perhaps this is part of the unix-like system goal where someone
will say 'where the heck is x' if it's disabled? If that's the case,
is there anyway to make rejecting them the default behaviour for a
desktop, or even if fontconfig is installed, and disabling be a
documented manual action in that case, and including them only be the
default if there is not fontconfig or maybe desktop?

If it's not to be the default is there a place where this change can be
clearly documented (and a good place to look for other
regular-user-desktop-gotchas-that-won't-be-changed) so that I can point
people for whom I install debian to it, and/or print it, and/or create
a custom post-install (or modified d-i) that does it automatically?

Regards,

Daniel

--
And that's my crabbing done for the day. Got it out of the way early,
strangle cute bunnies or something. -- Michael Devore

Old 08-22-2008, 06:35 AM
Daniel Dickinson

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:39:29 -0700
Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:

> > Is there any reason this isn't the default behaviour?
>
> It is the default.
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/fontconfig-config.templates:
>
> Template: fontconfig/enable_bitmaps
> Type: boolean
> Default: false

Hmmm...I don't know how mine got to this state then. Probably did
dpkg-reconfigure and forgot I had done so.

Anyway it's cool that it's the default.

Regards,

Daniel

Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 AM
"Miriam Ruiz"

2008/8/22 Daniel Dickinson <cshore@fionavar.ca>:
> On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 22:39:29 -0700
> Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
>> > Is there any reason this isn't the default behaviour?
>>
>> It is the default.
>>

> Hmmm...I don't know how mine got to this state then. Probably did
> dpkg-reconfigure and forgot I had done so.
>
> Anyway it's cool that it's the default.

I don't have the symlink to /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf
in /etc/fonts/conf.d that you mention in my computer either, and I
didn't modify anything there myself. Are you sure it's the default?

Greetings,
Miry

Old 08-22-2008, 06:52 AM
Daniel Dickinson

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:46:25 +0200
"Miriam Ruiz" <miriam@debian.org> wrote:

> 2008/8/22 Daniel Dickinson <cshore@fionavar.ca>:

> >> It is the default.
> >>

> > Hmmm...I don't know how mine got to this state then. Probably did
> > dpkg-reconfigure and forgot I had done so.
> >
> > Anyway it's cool that it's the default.
>
> I don't have the symlink to /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf
> in /etc/fonts/conf.d that you mention in my computer either, and I
> didn't modify anything there myself. Are you sure it's the default?

Hmmm...maybe I'd didn't set it manually then (I certainly don't
remember doing so). It looks like this is either a change behaviour
(and kept the old one when upgrading the package where this is the
default, or there is a bug in fontconfig.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Daniel Dickinson

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 08:46:25 +0200
"Miriam Ruiz" <miriam@debian.org> wrote:

> 2008/8/22 Daniel Dickinson <cshore@fionavar.ca>:

> >> It is the default.
> >>

> > Hmmm...I don't know how mine got to this state then. Probably did
> > dpkg-reconfigure and forgot I had done so.
> >
> > Anyway it's cool that it's the default.
>
> I don't have the symlink to /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf
> in /etc/fonts/conf.d that you mention in my computer either, and I
> didn't modify anything there myself. Are you sure it's the default?

Did you say Yes instead of No to the bitmapped fonts question when
fontconfig-config was upgraded? I don't know if I did or not
(intentionally I mean. I don't remember if I just hit ENTER to accept
defaults or if I (stupidly) changed it). It's one of those questions
that one doesn't necessarily understand the consequences of, even after
reading the message text. Or perhaps I hit ENTER but because it was
Yes in previous versions of fontconfig, the Yes was the default instead
of No (which is what I want, really).

Regards,

Daniel

Old 08-22-2008, 07:19 AM
"Paul Wise"

Installing fontconfig (or just fontconfig-config) in a sid cowbuilder
chroot results in neither symlink being installed. This correlates
with my memory of having to tweak the fontconfig directory after
installing lenny/amd64 just before DebConf8.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 AM
Daniel Dickinson

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:19:07 +0800
"Paul Wise" <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

> Installing fontconfig (or just fontconfig-config) in a sid cowbuilder
> chroot results in neither symlink being installed. This correlates
> with my memory of having to tweak the fontconfig directory after
> installing lenny/amd64 just before DebConf8.

Okay, I have used reportbug to file a bug report. It may or may not
actually get filed since I've been having trouble getting things
thorugh to bugs.debian.org and sometimes lists.debian.org. I have sent
a message to listmaster, but I don't know if it will get there or if
I'll have to get someone to proxy for me in order get my problem to
them (since they are at lists.debian.org and that domain seems to be an
issue, at least for some message; although the ones to debian-devel
seem to be getting through fine, now).