Old 08-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Laurent Guignard

Default Newby packager need help during his training ;)

Old 08-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Andreas Bombe

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:40:41PM +0200, Laurent Guignard wrote:
> How to update configuration files stored in local users home directory
> with these contained in package and save the previous configuration
> files somewhere in the filesystem hierarchy ?

You don't do that at all. The contents of home directories are none of
any package's business. Only the actual program touches user
configuration, so any configuration update has to be in there.

If you really need to, because configuration is incompatible and there
is no update function in the program, write a wrapper that checks and
updates the configuration before running the actual program.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Neil Williams

On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 15:40 +0200, Laurent Guignard wrote:
> I just began to build a package. I read some tutorial and I have a small
> question :
> How to update configuration files stored in local users home directory

Generally, packages don't do that - it is up to the runtime program to
handle /home/user/.foo stuff. The package has no idea which usernames
should be updated and which should not.

The first time that a particular user runs the updated package, the
runtime binary must handle the /home/user/.foo data and either upgrade
it silently or offer a method for the user to contribute to the upgrade
process.

> with these contained in package and save the previous configuration
> files somewhere in the filesystem hierarchy ?

The package shouldn't need to contain files under /home.

(I'd expect lintian to give an error for packages that try to do it too,
but I haven't tested that.)

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 08-20-2008, 05:25 PM
sean finney

hiya,

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 03:40:41 pm Laurent Guignard wrote:
> I just began to build a package. I read some tutorial and I have a small
> question :

in addition to the other suggestions, it should be pointed out that a more
appropriate (and possibly more helpful) mailing list for this type of
question is the debian-mentors mailing list.

regards,
sean

Old 08-20-2008, 07:31 PM
Laurent Guignard