Old 11-22-2007, 06:04 AM
Florian Weimer

Default Early adopters of symbol based dependencies needed

* Joey Hess:

>> Performance penalty of PIC code due to register pressure, I guess.
>
> I seem to remember it was a threading issue, but I didn't manage to
> track down an explanation.

Well, Perl should use __thread anyway, so it's unlikely that the issue
is still present.

Old 11-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Kurt Roeckx

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 01:20:33PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> > With debhelper 5.0.61, dh_makeshlibs will also call dpkg-gensymbols if it
> > for packages using debhelper, the only thing to do is to drop the right
> > symbol file(s) at the right place and add build-depends on dpkg-dev (>= 1.14.9)
> > and debhelper (>= 5.0.61).
>
> I suppose you'd also want to stop passing -V to dh_makeshlibs,
> since the symbol versioning should take care of setting the version.
> -V without any parameters is evil anyway.
>
> Although, what happens if a package is built against the library on
> a buildd that doesn't have the new dpkg-dev yet? It would generate a
> wrong unversioned dependency in this case.

I think dpkg-shlibdeps uses the symbols files if they're present, and
the shlibs files if they're not. So I would keep maintaining the -V
like you do now. But at some point I'd like to remove it.

Kurt