Old 07-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Petter Reinholdtsen

Default Please help me make athcool compatible with dependency-based init systems

[Kel Modderman]
> There is no need to modify README.Debian instructions, as insserv
> package provides an update-rc.d wrapper. When the admin follows the
> existing instructions of "update-rc.d athcool start 20 2 3 4 5 ."
> you will get runlevel links, just that the sequence number 20 is
> ignored and a more precise sequence number is calculated by insserv.

Note that in this case the runlevels listed on the command line will
also be ignored, and the runlevels in the LSB header will be used
instead. The effect in this case is the same.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen

Old 07-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Nicolas Boullis

Hi Kel,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:55:04PM +1000, Kel Modderman wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> Just add the LSB header with correct information like:
>
> ### BEGIN INIT INFO
> # Provides: athcool
> # Required-Start: $remote_fs
> # Required-Stop: $remote_fs
> # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
> # Default-Stop:
> ### END INIT INFO
>
> Your package does not call update-rc.d in postinst, courtesy of
> "dh_installinit -n", therefore no links get created even on insserv system.
>
> There is no need to modify README.Debian instructions, as insserv package
> provides an update-rc.d wrapper. When the admin follows the existing
> instructions of "update-rc.d athcool start 20 2 3 4 5 ." you will get runlevel
> links, just that the sequence number 20 is ignored and a more precise sequence
> number is calculated by insserv.

Thanks for your answer.
Sorry for asking a potentially stupid question, but how does the
"Default-Start" keyword affect the bahvior of the system?

Cheers,

Nicolas

Old 07-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Teodor

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org> wrote:
> Sorry for asking a potentially stupid question, but how does the
> "Default-Start" keyword affect the bahvior of the system?

Refer to http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts for details. Maybe this
page should be updated for LSB 3.2?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Nicolas Boullis

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:36:01PM +0300, Teodor wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Nicolas Boullis <nboullis@debian.org> wrote:
> > Sorry for asking a potentially stupid question, but how does the
> > "Default-Start" keyword affect the bahvior of the system?
>
> Refer to http://wiki.debian.org/LSBInitScripts for details. Maybe this
> page should be updated for LSB 3.2?

Well... I already read LSB, but there's nothing about how it really
interacts with the system. What does "default" mean here?
Does it affect update-rc.d?
Is it used when insserv is enabled?

I'd rather be sure that no-one will get startup links unwillingly, so
I'd like to understand how it really affects things...
(For example: one installs athcool, does not create startup links and
then installs and enables insserv...)

Cheers,

Nicolas