-   -   Debian Project News - July 21st, 2008 (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-development/129120-debian-project-news-july-21st-2008-a.html)

Charles Plessy 07-22-2008 01:25 AM

Debian Project News - July 21st, 2008

Le Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 12:40:51AM +0200, Alexander Reichle-Schmehl a écrit :
> Best practice for debug packages
>
> Joerg Jaspert [8]added that the priority of such debug
> packages should be extra and that they should be in the same section as
> the parent package.
>
> 8: http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2008/07/msg00205.html

Hi all,

here is the relevant extract:

>> *) I assume that the priority of -dbg packages is extra
>
> s/I assume that//
> s/$/!/

Does it mean that not being extra is a bug, that the persons with
write access to the `override' file will systematicly set the priority
of -dbg packages to `extra', or both?

How can we document all of this better? Would a bug against the Policy
be appropriate?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team,

Joerg Jaspert 07-22-2008 04:31 PM

On 11454 March 1977, Charles Plessy wrote:

>>> *) I assume that the priority of -dbg packages is extra
>> s/I assume that//
>> s/$/!/

> Does it mean that not being extra is a bug, that the persons with
> write access to the `override' file will systematicly set the priority
> of -dbg packages to `extra', or both?

Both. And they should be extra, unless i missed some when doing it
months ago (or if one of us missed it during NEW processing).

> How can we document all of this better? Would a bug against the Policy
> be appropriate?

Sure.

--
bye, Joerg
<vorlon> since anyone who can get along with elmo must *surely* be part of

Charles Plessy 07-23-2008 01:51 AM

Le Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 06:31:05PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert a écrit :
> On 11454 March 1977, Charles Plessy wrote:
>
> > Does it mean that not being extra is a bug, that the persons with
> > write access to the `override' file will systematicly set the priority
> > of -dbg packages to `extra', or both?
>
> Both. And they should be extra, unless i missed some when doing it
> months ago (or if one of us missed it during NEW processing).

Thanks for the answer, I just opened a bug on the Policy to reflect
this.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,

Thomas Viehmann 07-23-2008 08:21 AM

Charles Plessy wrote:
> Thanks for the answer, I just opened a bug on the Policy to reflect
> this.

I do have to agree with Russ that policy isn't the place for this.

Why do you need to sprinkle information there instead of enhancing the
documentation on the subject already in the developer's reference?

Kind regards

T.
--
Thomas Viehmann, http://thomas.viehmann.net/

Charles Plessy 07-24-2008 12:26 AM

Le Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:21:27AM +0200, Thomas Viehmann a écrit :

> Why do you need to sprinkle information there instead of enhancing the
> documentation on the subject already in the developer's reference?

Dear Thomas,

I need to eat, drink, breeze, but I do not feel a particular need to
sprinke information. I am of course very open to enhance the
developper's reference.

Here is a question to answer your question:

Why does the FTP team need to override the priority of -dbg packages
to `extra'?

The answer to this will tell where the information belongs.

I think that at some point of my Debian studies I was told that the
`overrides' system was a security device to prevent DDs to abuse the
Debian archive by uploading packages with a priority too high. Then I
thought that if the -dbg packages need a special attention compared to
the many other packages that are in extra but shouldn't or vice-versa,
then the requirement was a `must' and that `musts' are better in the
Policy than in the Reference.

Apparently, the Priority: and Section: fields in the source packages are
only informational and the `overrides' file is the authoritative
reference, because the role of the FTP team is to manage priorities and
sections and ensure archive consistency.

If this is accurate, I will write a patch to the Reference explaining it
and stating that -dbg packages should be `extra'.

In the future, how about suppressing those fields completely if they are
only useful at the first upload? This will save the time managing them.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,