Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 AM
Charles Plessy

Default What to do with new upstream releases before Lenny is out ?

Le Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 03:35:35PM +0200, Luk Claes a écrit :
> ______________________
> < We freeze next week! >
> ----------------------
> ^__^
> (oo)\_______
> (__) )/
> ||----w |
> || ||

Hi again,

basically, freezing next week means that uploads with a low urgency will
not be part of Lenny (unless hinted).

In the next 1~2 monthes that separate us from the release, there will be
new upstream releases for the packages I maintain and I am undecided
what to do:

- Ignore them and dedicate only to Lenny.
- Package them only if requested by users.
- Upload them to experimental.
- Upload them to unstable.

For the moment I did one upload to experimental, but I am not convinced
by my own choice. If somebody has wise comments, I will be grateful to
listen them.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team

Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 AM
Barry deFreese

Charles Plessy wrote:

<snip>
In the next 1~2 monthes that separate us from the release, there will be
new upstream releases for the packages I maintain and I am undecided
what to do:

- Ignore them and dedicate only to Lenny.
- Package them only if requested by users.
- Upload them to experimental.
- Upload them to unstable.

For the moment I did one upload to experimental, but I am not convinced
by my own choice. If somebody has wise comments, I will be grateful to
listen them.

Have a nice day,

Just help get ctsim to build with wx2.8 so we can drop 2.4. ;-)

Thanks,

Barry deFreese

Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 AM
Russ Allbery

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> In the next 1~2 monthes that separate us from the release, there will be
> new upstream releases for the packages I maintain and I am undecided
> what to do:
>
> - Ignore them and dedicate only to Lenny.
> - Package them only if requested by users.
> - Upload them to experimental.
> - Upload them to unstable.
>
> For the moment I did one upload to experimental, but I am not convinced
> by my own choice. If somebody has wise comments, I will be grateful to
> listen them.

I've been pondering the same thing and have been tenatively planning to
upload to experimental just to ensure that I don't entangle any library
transitions that need to migrate with packages that don't.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
"Francesco P. Lovergine"

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 12:23:06PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> - Ignore them and dedicate only to Lenny.

This one is the right choice, be conservative with both libraries
and other software if you have not a damn very good reason to behave
differently, e.g. current upstream package in lenny was truly broken and
the new one perfect (which is doubtful). Also in that case think twice,
than give up: you are probably missing something and the result will be
worst.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine