Old 07-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Loc Minier

Default Status of Emdebian {ARM}

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> 1. gtk+2.0 fails to cross-build because the patches now try to build the
> udeb which comes up against a bug in dpkg-cross. I've uploaded the
> new version (including a couple of other bug fixes) today. (A late
> problem in apt-cross has delayed things slightly.) The Gtk package also
> needs some work to run /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/update-gdkpixbuf-loaders so
> that the icons can be read in the GUI.
>
> 2. pango1.0 also needs a fix to update the pango modules. This is
> usually done at build time but it means running a cross-built binary. It
> is a minor task and not CPU intensive so I plan to do this in postinst.
> Without this fix, no text is rendered in the GUI, only empty glyphs.

These used to be in the postinst, but were moved to build time as it
caused issue for pango/gtk+ frontends during upgrades: if you're
running a gtk+/pango debconf frontend, it needs these working at all
times -- you can't allow it to break between unpack and new postinst's
configure.

--
Loc Minier

Old 07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Neil Williams

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 00:45 +0200, Loc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 15, 2008, Neil Williams wrote:
> > 1. gtk+2.0 fails to cross-build because the patches now try to build the
> > udeb which comes up against a bug in dpkg-cross. I've uploaded the
> > new version (including a couple of other bug fixes) today. (A late
> > problem in apt-cross has delayed things slightly.) The Gtk package also
> > needs some work to run /usr/lib/libgtk2.0-0/update-gdkpixbuf-loaders so
> > that the icons can be read in the GUI.
> >
> > 2. pango1.0 also needs a fix to update the pango modules. This is
> > usually done at build time but it means running a cross-built binary. It
> > is a minor task and not CPU intensive so I plan to do this in postinst.
> > Without this fix, no text is rendered in the GUI, only empty glyphs.
>
> These used to be in the postinst, but were moved to build time as it
> caused issue for pango/gtk+ frontends during upgrades: if you're
> running a gtk+/pango debconf frontend, it needs these working at all
> times -- you can't allow it to break between unpack and new postinst's
> configure.

So far, we aren't using a pango/gtk+ frontend for package stuff but
thanks for the explanation. What we'd need is support for CC_FOR_BUILD
in pango upstream which will always use the default build system
compiler (gcc in Debian) to compile the querymodules executable. I'd be
happy to look at how this should be implemented - see fontconfig:

# Setup for compiling build tools (fc-glyphname, etc)
AC_MSG_CHECKING([for a C compiler for build tools])
if test $cross_compiling = yes; then
AC_CHECK_PROGS(CC_FOR_BUILD, gcc cc)
else
CC_FOR_BUILD=$CC
fi
AC_MSG_RESULT([$CC_FOR_BUILD])
AC_SUBST(CC_FOR_BUILD)

Then replace $(CC) with $(CC_FOR_BUILD) in the Makefile component
exclusively for the compilation of the querymodules executable.

A patch in Debian would be the first step. I'll add it to the list of
things to do at DebCamp.

--

Neil Williams
=============

Old 07-17-2008, 03:57 AM
"Paul Wise"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> Work is ongoing to fold uClibc into Emdebian to reduce installation sizes further.

FYI, uclibc is no longer available in Debian sid/lenny.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Neil Williams

On Thu, 2008-07-17 at 11:57 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 6:23 AM, Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Work is ongoing to fold uClibc into Emdebian to reduce installation sizes further.
>
> FYI, uclibc is no longer available in Debian sid/lenny.

uClibc will be back.
;-)

(i.e. I am not unaware of the current status of uClibc.)

Meanwhile, support for uClibc must be developed and tested within Debian
and Emdebian. The lack of uClibc in Debian, although a hindrance, does
not prevent the development of uClibc support in Emdebian.

--

Neil Williams