Old 07-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Joerg Jaspert

Default sysklogd/rsyslog switch

Heya World,

I just did the requested switch, sysklogd/klogd are now priority extra,
rsyslog (not its -mysql -pgsql packages) are now priority important.

If something else, like Tasks or so, needs to be changed too: Whoever
needs to do that please do it. Thanks.

--
bye, Joerg
[ New Maintainer Prozess ]

Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Jonas Meurer

On 15/07/2008 Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> I just did the requested switch, sysklogd/klogd are now priority extra,
> rsyslog (not its -mysql -pgsql packages) are now priority important.
>
> If something else, like Tasks or so, needs to be changed too: Whoever
> needs to do that please do it. Thanks.

thanks a lot, that's great news :-)

I added the information to http://wiki.debian.org/NewInLenny, but I
believe that this switch should be documented in the release notes as
well, shouldn't it? What's the proper way for that? A bugreport against
'release-notes'? Is the draft for lenny release notes already available
somewhere?

greetings,
jonas

Old 07-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Peter Samuelson

[Jonas Meurer]
> I believe that this switch should be documented in the release notes
> as well, shouldn't it?

Well, it doesn't affect upgrades. And for new installs, _all_ the
packages are new, so this falls under the case of Debian picking one
alternative of something as a default. I don't know if those cases are
terribly important for the release notes. Do the release notes say
which inetd we favor? Well, I see they do, but should they?
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/

Old 07-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Bernd Eckenfels

In article <20080716202902.GC24276@p12n.org> you wrote:
> Well, it doesn't affect upgrades. And for new installs, _all_ the
> packages are new, so this falls under the case of Debian picking one
> alternative of something as a default.

Well, if Debian defaults change long term users need to know - even for new
installs.

Gruss
Bernd

Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <20080716202902.GC24276@p12n.org> you wrote:
> > Well, it doesn't affect upgrades. And for new installs, _all_ the
> > packages are new, so this falls under the case of Debian picking one
> > alternative of something as a default.
>
> Well, if Debian defaults change long term users need to know - even for new
> installs.

So that they will consider ditching sysklogd and installing the new default
in its place. I'd say that alone merits an inclusion in the release notes.
It is not like the syslog daemon is an "unimportant" part of a Debian
system.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Jonas Meurer

On 17/07/2008 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> > In article <20080716202902.GC24276@p12n.org> you wrote:
> > > Well, it doesn't affect upgrades. And for new installs, _all_ the
> > > packages are new, so this falls under the case of Debian picking one
> > > alternative of something as a default.
> >
> > Well, if Debian defaults change long term users need to know - even for new
> > installs.
>
> So that they will consider ditching sysklogd and installing the new default
> in its place. I'd say that alone merits an inclusion in the release notes.
> It is not like the syslog daemon is an "unimportant" part of a Debian
> system.

I think so too. I've submitted a bugreport against release-notes: #491180.

greetings,
jonas

Old 07-17-2008, 08:39 PM
Michael Biebl

Jonas Meurer wrote:

Well, it doesn't affect upgrades. And for new installs, _all_ the
packages are new, so this falls under the case of Debian picking one
alternative of something as a default.

Well, if Debian defaults change long term users need to know - even for new
installs.

So that they will consider ditching sysklogd and installing the new default
in its place. I'd say that alone merits an inclusion in the release notes.
It is not like the syslog daemon is an "unimportant" part of a Debian
system.

I think so too. I've submitted a bugreport against release-notes: #491180.

Thanks Jonas, for being such a driving force regarding that matter.

If I can be of any assisstance in crafting the release notes [1], please
let me know.

Cheers,
Michael

[1] I'm not sure, if the release notes should contain too technical
information regarding upgrade procedures and such or if it should only
refer to the packages' README.Debian (which I have started to write and
will contain upgrade/migration instructions, see #484083)

universe are pointed away from Earth?