Old 07-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Charles Plessy

Default Packages not removable because the `/etc/init.d/package stop' fails.

Hi all,

It seems that some packaged daemons use a combination of scripts that
sometimes makes them difficult to remove on Etch:

- prerm stops the daemon and exits if it fails

- /etc/init.d/package stops the daemon using start-stop-daemon and
fails if it was not running.

As a result, if the daemon is not running, postrm fails and the package
can not be removed. See #489366 for example. Now I wonder how to deal
with that kind of problem. It could be solved at the package level,
except that such bug but is probably not grave enough for the package to
be updated in Etch. I reported a bug on start-stop-daemon on
its Etch version, but this was closed by the dpkg maintainers, as the
problem is not affecting Lenny.

I think that not being able to easily remove packages in Etch can be an
annoyance when upgrading to Lenny, and I suppose that other daemons are
affected. Do you think that submitting a paragraph to the release notes
would be appropriate or is there something better to do?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team,

Old 07-12-2008, 05:45 AM
Russ Allbery

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> It seems that some packaged daemons use a combination of scripts that
> sometimes makes them difficult to remove on Etch:
>
> - prerm stops the daemon and exits if it fails

This is generally correct. If the daemon can't shut down cleanly,
continuing with the upgrade anyway could result in data corruption or loss
depending on the daemon. I think it's the correct conservative behavior
to stop at that point and force manual intervention.

> - /etc/init.d/package stops the daemon using start-stop-daemon and
> fails if it was not running.

This isn't correct.

> As a result, if the daemon is not running, postrm fails and the package
> can not be removed. See #489366 for example. Now I wonder how to deal
> with that kind of problem. It could be solved at the package level,
> except that such bug but is probably not grave enough for the package to
> be updated in Etch.

Well, it's an RC bug (violation of the must in Policy 9.3.2) for the stop
action of an init script to fail if the daemon is not running, which is
fairly serious. I think it could well warrant a stable update if it's
causing problems for upgrades to lenny.

The other option is to work around it in the upgraded version of the
package; if the prerm script fails, there's an error handling case that
calls the new prerm script with the failed-upgrade argument and gives it
an opportunity to say "yes, I don't care, continue anyway."

Old 07-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Russ Allbery

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

> Well, it's an RC bug (violation of the must in Policy 9.3.2) for the
> stop action of an init script to fail if the daemon is not running,
> which is fairly serious. I think it could well warrant a stable update
> if it's causing problems for upgrades to lenny.

Actually, I take that back -- it's not on the lenny RC bug list, so it's
possibly not an RC bug. It would be if Policy and the release goals were
synchronized and the must stayed in that case, but it's ambiguous right
now. If this truly shouldn't be RC, Policy should be changed to make sane
init script behavior a should instead.

Old 07-12-2008, 04:19 PM
Charles Plessy

Le Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 10:45:39PM -0700, Russ Allbery a écrit :
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
>
> > As a result, if the daemon is not running, postrm fails and the package
> > can not be removed. See #489366 for example. Now I wonder how to deal
> > with that kind of problem. It could be solved at the package level,
> > except that such bug but is probably not grave enough for the package to
> > be updated in Etch.
>
> Well, it's an RC bug (violation of the must in Policy 9.3.2) for the stop
> action of an init script to fail if the daemon is not running, which is
> fairly serious.

I eventually realised that the reason why peercast-servent fails to be
removed when the peercast daemon is not running is because the package
uses an /etc/init.d template from dh_make, that calls start-stop-daemon
without --oknodo. The bug is fixed in Lenny and Sid. I will raise the
priority to serious, and mark it as fixed in the relevant versions. I
guess that similar bugs are around, but apparently this has been
discussed this month in a thread that I skipped reading because at that
time I was wondering if 'Oknodo' was the name of a tropical island.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian-Med packaging team,