Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
"LM Jogbäck"

Default Xen status in lenny?

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> SLES 11 will include Linux 2.6.26 with Xen patches - packages should be
> available any day now from
> <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/SL110_BRANCH/i386/>. Is it
> possible that those patches will be usable in lenny, as I believe the
> kernel team expects to release with Linux 2.6.26?

Is the forward-ported Xen patch for 2.6.26 available somewhere, so
that an unofficial build of a dom0 2.6.26 for debian could be build?

/LM

Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 09:15:09PM +0200, LM Jogbäck wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:
>

> > SLES 11 will include Linux 2.6.26 with Xen patches - packages should be
> > available any day now from
> > <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/SL110_BRANCH/i386/>. Is it
> > possible that those patches will be usable in lenny, as I believe the
> > kernel team expects to release with Linux 2.6.26?
> >

> Is the forward-ported Xen patch for 2.6.26 available somewhere, so
> that an unofficial build of a dom0 2.6.26 for debian could be build?

Not yet. Keep watching that directory.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Who are all these weirdos? - David Bowie, about L-Space IRC channel #afp

Old 07-19-2008, 09:41 PM
Ben Hutchings

Old 07-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Aurelien Jarno

Goswin von Brederlow a écrit :
> Gunnar Wolf <gwolf@gwolf.org> writes:
>
>> Goswin von Brederlow dijo [Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 11:10:30PM +0200]:
>>> Unusable for production work. Emulation is just too slow. The group of
>>> people that can live with that much slow down compared to xen is
>>> miniscule.
>> Just to state the obvious: I understand your lines applie to
>> virtualbox and qemu, not to linux-vserver, which is completely usable
>> for production work - although it's a completely different approach,
>> completely useless to people who really want seemingly independent
>> full machines (i.e. different OSs or kernel features).
>
> yes, obviously.

>>> KVM needs hardware support and even then its I/O is slower. It also
>>> deadlocks the I/O under I/O load from time to time.
>>>
>>> I could live with the I/O slowdown but nothing will make hardware
>>> magically appear.
>> Please explain further on this. Do you mean that xen can run
>> paravirtualized hosts without the hardware features (i.e. the lesser
>> CPUs sold nowadays) while kvm does require VMX/SVM?
>
> Yes, xen with paravirtualized hosts runs on cpus without hardware
> virtualization.
>
>> I have not done extensive testing yet (I'm a newbie to both
>> approaches), but I don't feel the slowdown you mention when under kvm.
>
> The "normal" kvm io uses the qemu device emulation and is dead slow
> and unsecure. As such it is pretty much out of the question for
> production work.
>
> But kvm can also use the virtio drivers that raise the network speed
> to slightly over 40MB/s. Disk speed is slower but that might just be
> my laptops disk.

With latest kvm version (71), I am able to reach 174 MB/s throughput on
the virtio network interface, so it is now comparable to Xen.

--
.'`. Aurelien Jarno | GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
: :' : Debian developer | Electrical Engineer

Old 07-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Frederik Schueler

Hi!

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:04:45AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
> to not be merged upstream.

with our current options, loosing xen dom0 support IS a very good
excuse for this, IMO.

Best regards
Frederik Schüler

--
ENOSIG

Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Pasi Kärkkäinen

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 05:52:49PM +0200, Frederik Schueler wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:04:45AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
> > to not be merged upstream.
>
> with our current options, loosing xen dom0 support IS a very good
> excuse for this, IMO.

Just for the record, Ubuntu chose this way and patched their 2.6.24 kernel
in 8.04 LTS with forward-port of 2.6.18 xensource xen patches.

-- Pasi

Old 08-22-2008, 03:13 PM
André Luís Lopes

Old 08-30-2008, 12:20 PM
Ben Hutchings

On Fri, 2008-08-22 at 12:13 -0300, André Luís Lopes wrote:
<snip>
> Does someone have a better contact with Novell/SuSE guys which are
> doing the forward port work ? One can read at [1] that SLES 11 beta
> testing will be open starting from September and will last till
> February, so it may be that SLES could even change to a later kernel and
> not use 2.6.26 at all (I have no detailed information about it and no
> one told me that, it's just a possibility given that SLES 11 beta
> testing will last till February next).
<snip>

I'm not in direct contact but have colleagues who are. My understanding
is they are now intending to use 2.6.27.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
It is easier to write an incorrect program than to understand a correct one.

Old 09-16-2008, 08:32 PM
Jan Wagner

Hi there,

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 16:02, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 09:53:25PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > What are the plans for Xen for lenny? Is this situation likely to change
> > before the release?
>
> As we have seen, there is no real plan. So lets summarize the
> possibilities:

[Option 1-5] (Option 6 / SLES's 2.6.26 mentioned later in thread by Moritz)

> Conclusion
> ==========
> Xen got a often used technique in the last two years. All of the large
> distributions got some sort of support for it. Debian Etch have full
> support for it. There was several requests of various people so I think
> not providing at least a minimal support in Lenny is wrong.
>
> I think option 4 would be the solution which produces the least amount
> of extra work and provides our users with support for there systems. I
> would provide the necessary packages but I want an okay for that
> solution from the security and the release team.

since we have rolled out over 50 dom0 with etch, we are really interested into
having xen dom0 support in lenny. Are there any further decisions made? We
choosed debian, cause we thought that Xen support won't be droped in the next
stable release and there is no influence by commercial interests into this.

Thanks for your work and please keep me (and all the others, that seems
interested by looking into this thread) updated.

With kind regards, Jan.
--
Never write mail to <waja@spamfalle.info>, you have been warned!

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Bastian Blank

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 10:32:49PM +0200, Jan Wagner wrote:
> [Option 1-5] (Option 6 / SLES's 2.6.26 mentioned later in thread by Moritz)

Please show it. SLES 11 ships 2.6.25.

Bastian

--
Men of peace usually are [brave].
-- Spock, "The Savage Curtain", stardate 5906.5