Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 AM
Bernd Eckenfels

Default Xen status in lenny?

In article <20080717230445.GU4183@baikonur.stro.at> you wrote:
> right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
> to not be merged upstream.

Isnt that the most obvious reason to distribute an additional patched
kernel? There is a user need and a patch..

Gruss
Bernd

Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Tollef Fog Heen

]] maximilian attems

| On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:45:21AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
| > On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 05:34:28PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
| > > That SLES forward-port for 2.6.26 is not acceptable based on Debian kernel
| > > patch policy: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianKernelPatchAcceptanceGuidelines
| >
| > Which is only the case for the main images. We have support for
| > additional feature sets, which have less strict rules.
|
| right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
| to not be merged upstream.

Of course it is when it is to prevent a fairly substantial regression
from etch. Whether etch should have shipped a dom0 or not is a
different question and a little late to complain about now; we just have
to do the best we can with what we have.

--
Tollef Fog Heen

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
maximilian attems

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 09:57:29AM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> Of course it is when it is to prevent a fairly substantial regression
> from etch. Whether etch should have shipped a dom0 or not is a
> different question and a little late to complain about now; we just have
> to do the best we can with what we have.

an lenny+half with upstream merged version makes sense indeed.
until then people can rely on etch + etch unofficial images.

the regression would have been *huge* if we had no guest image support
at all, but that got fixed and is tested.

--
maks

Old 07-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Bastian Blank

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:04:45AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
> to not be merged upstream.

So OpenVZ is also out of reach.

Bastian

--
There is an order of things in this universe.
-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1

Old 07-18-2008, 09:23 AM
maximilian attems

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:08:43AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:04:45AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
> > to not be merged upstream.
>
> So OpenVZ is also out of reach.

openvz is actively working on namespace merge and using the emerging
bits. their patchsize is decreasing.

--
maks

Old 07-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Bastian Blank

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:23:19AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:08:43AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:04:45AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > right but still no excuse to bring in a patch set that is *known*
> > > to not be merged upstream.
> > So OpenVZ is also out of reach.
> openvz is actively working on namespace merge and using the emerging
> bits. their patchsize is decreasing.

Which does not change the fact that the patch in this form will never be
accepted.

Bastian

--
Each kiss is as the first.
-- Miramanee, Kirk's wife, "The Paradise Syndrome",

Old 07-18-2008, 09:55 AM
maximilian attems

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:44:53AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 11:23:19AM +0200, maximilian attems wrote:
> > > So OpenVZ is also out of reach.
> > openvz is actively working on namespace merge and using the emerging
> > bits. their patchsize is decreasing.
>
> Which does not change the fact that the patch in this form will never be
> accepted.

sure patchsets of such size are never gobed in *one* step.

here you'll find a nice metric on their merge success:
http://community.livejournal.com/openvz/22369.html

--
maks

Old 07-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Guido Günther

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 08:37:01AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
[..snip..]
> dom0 support is being worked on by Fedora people (I think) but there are
> no patches upstream yet.
We could recommend kvm+xenner+libvirt as "dom0" for people with
hardware virtualization support:
http://kraxel.fedorapeople.org/xenner/
I don't think we have this packaged yet though. If anybody wants to work
on this I'd be happy to help.
Cheers,
-- Guido

Old 07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Gunnar Wolf

Guido Günther dijo [Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:34:25PM -0230]:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 08:37:01AM +0100, Ian Campbell wrote:
> [..snip..]
> > dom0 support is being worked on by Fedora people (I think) but there are
> > no patches upstream yet.
> We could recommend kvm+xenner+libvirt as "dom0" for people with
> hardware virtualization support:
> http://kraxel.fedorapeople.org/xenner/
> I don't think we have this packaged yet though. If anybody wants to work
> on this I'd be happy to help.

Umh... AFAICT, that would only work for people using Xen for
paravirtualization, not for full virtualization. Nowadays, Xen's
administration tools are still way more complete than KVM's - But I
think it is in place to tell people... That KVM is the way.

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973 F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF

Old 07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
"LM Jogbäck"

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:54 AM, Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> SLES 11 will include Linux 2.6.26 with Xen patches - packages should be
> available any day now from
> <ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/kernel/kotd/SL110_BRANCH/i386/>. Is it
> possible that those patches will be usable in lenny, as I believe the
> kernel team expects to release with Linux 2.6.26?

Is the forward-ported Xen patch for 2.6.26 available somewhere, so
that an unofficial build of a dom0 2.6.26 for debian could be build?

/LM