Old 07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Charles Plessy

Default Comparison between Destkop entry and Debian menu specifications.

Le Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 12:12:23AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> XDG has less features than debian-menu currently does. For
> instance, unless I'm mistaken it's not possible to specify in an XDG
> .desktop file that a particular application is a curses or similar
> application that requires an xterm or some such, which is possible with
> menu. Due to this feature, it's also possible to have a package like
> pdmenu for non-graphical systems.

Hi Wouter,

There is of course not perfect mapping between the fields of the Menu
entries and the keys of the Desktop entries, but still there is an
overall good correspondance. Main differences are:

1) Desktop entries are not designed to deal with switching window
managers nor with Linux console applications. (However, the Desktop
entry specification can be extended by keys prefixed by 'X-').

2) Menu entries distinguish section and hints, while Desktop entries
permit multiple Categories, and delegate to the Desktop menu
specification to sort out between "Main" categories ( ~ sections) and
"Additional" categories ( ~ hints).

The other differences are actually between the Debian menu system and
the Destkop menu specification:

1) The menu structure is not exactly the same, although the overlap is
again large.

2) One can use any hint, but the list of "Additionnal" categories is
fixed.

I have drafted a comparison page on the Wiki. After Lenny release, it
could be the base for the drafting of a Debian enhancement proposal.

http://wiki.debian.org/Proposals/DebianMenuUsingDesktopEntries

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy