Old 07-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Bastian Venthur

Default #486212 reportbug-ng segfaults

Hi,

since a few feeks reportbug-ng segfaults quite often. Since I haven't
made any changes in this time, I think one of the libs rng depends on is
the problem. Currently it depends on python-soappy and python-qt3. I
think SOAPpy is not the problem, since I played around with it a few
days ago and never got a segfault.

So I think it's python-qt3. The bugreport #486212 has a backtrace, but
I'm not sure how to interpret the output in this case. Can anybody help
me to track down the problem and find out whether it is qt3, python or
rng itself?

Cheers,

Bastian

PS: please CC me, just in case.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Bastian Venthur

Thanks for the hint, unfortunately that didn't help. I've rebuild
python-qt3 with CXXFLAGS="-Wall -g -O0" but rng is still segfaulting.

There is also no bugreport in python-qt3 indicating that someone else
has this problem.

Cheers,

Bastian

Kęstutis Biliūnas wrote:

since a few feeks reportbug-ng segfaults quite often. Since I haven't
made any changes in this time, I think one of the libs rng depends on is
the problem. Currently it depends on python-soappy and python-qt3. I
think SOAPpy is not the problem, since I played around with it a few
days ago and never got a segfault.

So I think it's python-qt3. The bugreport #486212 has a backtrace, but
I'm not sure how to interpret the output in this case. Can anybody help
me to track down the problem and find out whether it is qt3, python or
rng itself?

I guess the problem is related with gcc , because gcc-4.3 is now the
default compiler. Now we have the similar problem with fonforge package
(#487101). If I build fontforge using gcc-4.2, I can't to reproduce the
bug. Also the problem disappear if I build using gcc-4.3, but without
the optimization (CFLAGS="-Wall -g -O0"). So, I advise you to do so
with python-qt3.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:46 PM
Adeodato Sim

* Bastian Venthur [Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:39:16 +0200]:

> Thanks for the hint, unfortunately that didn't help. I've rebuild
> python-qt3 with CXXFLAGS="-Wall -g -O0" but rng is still segfaulting.

> There is also no bugreport in python-qt3 indicating that someone else
> has this problem.

FWIW several users have reported crashes in minirok, so it may as well
be the same issue.

Cheers,

Adeodato Sim dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer adeodato at debian.org

Truth is the most valuable thing we have, so let's economize it.
-- Mark Twain

Old 07-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Bastian Venthur

Adeodato Simó wrote:

* Bastian Venthur [Thu, 10 Jul 2008 11:39:16 +0200]:
There is also no bugreport in python-qt3 indicating that someone else
has this problem.

FWIW several users have reported crashes in minirok, so it may as well
be the same issue.

Good to know that rng is not the only one with this problem. I've
written a bugreport against python-qt3 (#490340). There is also a small
python script which helps to reproduce this bug. I think it has
something to do with changing the text of the textbrowser when html is
involved:

python crash.py "foo"

will lead very seldom to segfaults, while

python crash.py "<b>foo</b>"

will almost every second time lead to a segfault.

---[crash.py]---

from qt import *
import sys
import threading

class Form(QMainWindow):
def __init__(self,parent = None,name = None,fl = 0):
QMainWindow.__init__(self,parent,name,fl)
self.browser = QTextBrowser(self, "browser")
self.setCentralWidget(self.browser)

if __name__ == '__main__':
if len(sys.argv) < 2:
print 'Usage: %s "some text"' % sys.argv[0]
sys.exit()
s = str(sys.argv[1])

# setup qt stuff with a browser
app = QApplication(sys.argv)
app.connect(app, SIGNAL("lastWindowClosed()"), app, SLOT("quit()"))
form = Form()
app.setMainWidget(form)
form.show()

# start a different thread and try to set the text in the browser
# we wait 1.0 second -- just to make sure the change happens after the
# start of app.exec_loop() below
t = threading.Timer(1.0, form.browser.setText, (s, ))
t.start()

app.exec_loop()