Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 AM
"Andrea Ferraresi"

Default Strange file problem

Hello folks,
i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after
a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash.
In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot
be accessed in any way. I try to remove it but rm -f returns a
"permission denied" message
sshd doesn't work but sudo does. The Inode has value 0 in all cases.
Have you got any ideas?

--
.'`. Andrea Ferraresi <andrea.ferraresi@gmail.com>
: :' : irc.FreeNode.net #lslug | JID 5p4wn@jabber.org

Old 07-06-2008, 11:16 AM
Ralf Hildebrandt

* Andrea Ferraresi <andrea.ferraresi@gmail.com>:
> Hello folks,
> i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after
> a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash.
> In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot
> be accessed in any way. I try to remove it but rm -f returns a
> "permission denied" message
> sshd doesn't work but sudo does. The Inode has value 0 in all cases.
> Have you got any ideas?

Have you tried a full filesystem check? Backup your data, such repair
actions sometimes eat your data.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt (i.A. des IT-Zentrums) Ralf.Hildebrandt@charite.de
Charite - Universitätsmedizin Berlin Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155

Old 07-06-2008, 05:44 PM
"John H. Robinson, IV"

Andrea Ferraresi wrote:
> Hello folks,
> i have some trouble about a strange file problem experienced after
> a filesystem [ReiserFS] crash.
> In the /var/run directory I have 3 files (sshd.pid, sudo, motd) that cannot
> be accessed in any way. I try to remove it but rm -f returns a
> "permission denied" message
> sshd doesn't work but sudo does. The Inode has value 0 in all cases.
> Have you got any ideas?

You may need to perform a reiserfsck --rebuild-tree

http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Hardware/ReiserFS_Data_Recovery_Tips
http://tinyurl.com/9pl2e

This option rebuilds the entire file system tree using leaf nodes
found on the device. Normally you only need this option if the --check
option reports "corruption that can be fixed only during
--rebuild-tree". You are strongly encouraged to make a backup copy of
the whole partition before attempting the --rebuild-tree option.

Good luck.

--
John H. Robinson, IV jaqque@debian.org
http ((((

Old 07-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Andrea Ferraresi

> Speaking as the person that added resierfs support to the Debian Boot
> Floppies, all of my new filesystems are XFS.
>
> I have seen too many strange problems with reiserfs, such as the
> undeletable files (i have abot three on one of my partitions still). I
> have heard of lots more.
>
> WHile there was a lot of neat things scheduled for ResierFS4, it looks
> like it will never see the light of day.
>
> Best of luck with the filesystems,

Smartmontools doesn't recognize any hardware-related problem. Well the
problem is filesystem-related, many other people have advised me about
XFS and i will try it. Someone says that reiserfs-tools have been
orphaned in debian i think that is not a case and is not just related to
Reiser's law problem.
Thanks for the help anyway.

--
|_|0|_| Andrea Ferraresi <andrea.ferraresi@gmail.com>
|_|_|0| KeyFP= CFE7 223E EB7A E729 9675 BA93 5152 C043 3817 D93A