FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-05-2008, 10:58 PM
 
Default Bug#444980: udev not restarted after exiting runlevel 1

Actually, should udev be killed at all when switching to single user
mode?
Do we have a definition of how single user mode should work?

Obviously I am not looking forward to make the udev init script even
more complex.

--
ciao,
Marco
 
Old 07-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Frans Pop
 
Default Bug#444980: udev not restarted after exiting runlevel 1

Marco d'Itri wrote:
> Actually, should udev be killed at all when switching to single user
> mode?

I don't think so. Single user mode is for sysadmin tasks and I'd say that
the udev daemon should be running for those as performing those tasks
could result it udev triggers being generated, which should be processed.

Cheers,
FJP
 
Old 07-07-2008, 03:34 PM
 
Default Bug#444980: udev not restarted after exiting runlevel 1

On Jul 07, Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:

> I don't think so. Single user mode is for sysadmin tasks and I'd say that
> the udev daemon should be running for those as performing those tasks
> could result it udev triggers being generated, which should be processed.
What could I do then? /etc/rc1.d/S30killprocs does not allow excluding
processes.

--
ciao,
Marco
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Wouter Verhelst
 
Default Bug#444980: udev not restarted after exiting runlevel 1

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 04:56:02PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > Actually, should udev be killed at all when switching to single user
> > mode?
>
> I don't think so. Single user mode is for sysadmin tasks and I'd say that
> the udev daemon should be running for those as performing those tasks
> could result it udev triggers being generated, which should be processed.

I would tend to disagree. 'single user mode' means 'the bare minimum for
the system to work'; provided the system still has a static /dev if udev
is not active (it does, right?), udev is not required at all for
single user.

--
<Lo-lan-do> Home is where you have to wash the dishes.
-- #debian-devel, Freenode, 2004-09-22


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:50 PM
 
Default Bug#444980: udev not restarted after exiting runlevel 1

On Jul 09, Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> wrote:

> I would tend to disagree. 'single user mode' means 'the bare minimum for
> the system to work'; provided the system still has a static /dev if udev
> is not active (it does, right?), udev is not required at all for
> single user.
If the system is switched to single user mode it will still have the
original /dev, which is hard to be unmounted automatically without
causing troubles.
And trying would be a stupid idea anyway, people actually use the
persistent device names created by udev.

--
ciao,
Marco
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:33 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org