Old 07-04-2008, 04:25 PM
Jordi Mallach

Default Intent to NMU tinyproxy

(please respect Mail-Followup-To:, as I'm not subscribed to this list)

Hi,

I've worked on some improvements to the tinyproxy package, and I'm
looking for reviewers before I upload this to unstable.

My main interest in NMUing this was enabling transparent proxy support
to the package, but after seeing the last maintainer upload was over
four years ago and there was room for several other packaging
improvements, I went ahead and fixed many other things.

I need advice on what to do about the version number. Debian's current
version is 1.6.3-2.1, and my NMU should be -2.2. However, it seems
Ubuntu uploaded -3 as a fork of Debian's -2 by mistake some time ago, so
our NMU changes aren't getting synced in Ubuntu releases.

Should I ignore this or should I artificially bump the version number to
something greater than Ubuntu's, allowing them to sync our changes? If
the latter, should I use -3.0, -3.1, -3.2? Currently I'm using -3.2.

I have uploaded i386 binaries and source to
http://people.debian.org/~jordi/debian, along with an (unreadable)
interdiff which shows that all patches have been moved to
debian/patches. List of changes is in
http://people.debian.org/~jordi/debian/tinyproxy_1.6.3-3.2_i386.changes

Please test and/or comment, as my usage of tinyproxy is quite simple and
limited.

Jordi
--
Jordi Mallach Pérez -- Debian developer http://www.debian.org/
jordi@sindominio.net jordi@debian.org http://www.sindominio.net/

Old 07-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Gunnar Wolf

Jordi Mallach dijo [Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 06:25:58PM +0200]:
> (please respect Mail-Followup-To:, as I'm not subscribed to this list)
>
> Hi,
>
> I've worked on some improvements to the tinyproxy package, and I'm
> looking for reviewers before I upload this to unstable.
>
> My main interest in NMUing this was enabling transparent proxy support
> to the package, but after seeing the last maintainer upload was over
> four years ago and there was room for several other packaging
> improvements, I went ahead and fixed many other things.
>
> I need advice on what to do about the version number.

Given the above mentioned factors (mainly, you are adding
functionality and not just fixing a bug, and the maintainer is not at
all active), I'm sure you have tried to ping Ed Boraas on this
regard. Why don't you take over the package? I think everybody will be
better off that way...

(of course, keeping Ed in the Cc: - Ed, are you still interested in
this package? Would you oppose Jordi taking over?)

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23
Fingerprint: 0C79 D2D1 2C4E 9CE4 5973 F800 D80E F35A 8BB5 27AF

Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Jordi Mallach

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 02:08:23PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> Given the above mentioned factors (mainly, you are adding
> functionality and not just fixing a bug, and the maintainer is not at
> all active), I'm sure you have tried to ping Ed Boraas on this
> regard. Why don't you take over the package? I think everybody will be
> better off that way...

No, the first time I've contacted Ed was with my previous email,
actually. I did check in the PTS and his activity in the last two or
three years is quite low.

I don't think I want or should take over the package. The time I can
devote to Debian is really scarce these days and I should actually get
rid of Debian duties, other than accepting new ones.

> (of course, keeping Ed in the Cc: - Ed, are you still interested in
> this package? Would you oppose Jordi taking over?)

If Ed agrees with handing the package over, I can orphan it and do a QA
upload, or post a RFA. That would fix the Ubuntu issue I mentioned, too,
as they would only need to do a no-change rebuild to get it in sync.

If Ed doesn't react, maybe orphaning it is best after all.

Jordi