FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-04-2008, 03:05 AM
Ryan Kavanagh
 
Default ITP: password -- little ruby random password generator

Package: wnpp
Severity: wishlist
Owner: Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org>


* Package name : password
Version : 2007.12.30
Upstream Author : Joakim Olsson <jocke@gnu.org>
* URL : http://lirhost.net/~jocke/password/
* License : GPL
Programming Lang: Ruby
Description : Compact ruby random password generator

Little random password generator which generates a random
password which is strong, safe and secure.

-- System Information:
Debian Release: lenny/sid
APT prefers hardy-updates
APT policy: (500, 'hardy-updates'), (500, 'hardy-security'), (500, 'hardy-backports'), (500, 'hardy')
Architecture: i386 (i686)

Kernel: Linux 2.6.24-18-generic (SMP w/1 CPU core)
Locale: LANG=en_CA.UTF-8, LC_CTYPE=en_CA.UTF-8 (charmap=UTF-8) (ignored: LC_ALL set to en_CA.UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash
 
Old 07-04-2008, 04:02 AM
Russ Allbery
 
Default ITP: password -- little ruby random password generator

Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org> writes:

> Package: wnpp
> Severity: wishlist
> Owner: Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org>
>
> * Package name : password

That's a very generic package name and should probably say *something*
about how it's a random password generator.

> Version : 2007.12.30
> Upstream Author : Joakim Olsson <jocke@gnu.org>
> * URL : http://lirhost.net/~jocke/password/
> * License : GPL
> Programming Lang: Ruby
> Description : Compact ruby random password generator
>
> Little random password generator which generates a random
> password which is strong, safe and secure.

How does this differ from all the random password generators already in
Debian? Why would I use this instead of one of:

apg - Automated Password Generator - Standalone version
funcoeszz - script with 65 useful mini applications
gpw - Trigraph Password Generator
libpam-pwgen - a password generator
libstring-mkpasswd-perl - random password generator

--
Russ Allbery (rra@debian.org) <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-04-2008, 05:15 AM
"Paul Wise"
 
Default ITP: password -- little ruby random password generator

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org> wrote:

> * Package name : password
> Description : Compact ruby random password generator
>
> Little random password generator which generates a random
> password which is strong, safe and secure.

pwgen already exists.

Also, please use X-Debbugs-CC in future. It can also be used as a
pseudo-header if your MUA doesn't have the ability to add arbitrary
headers.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 07-04-2008, 12:29 PM
"Francesco P. Lovergine"
 
Default ITP: password -- little ruby random password generator

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 01:15:19PM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Ryan Kavanagh <ryanakca@kubuntu.org> wrote:
>
> > * Package name : password
> > Description : Compact ruby random password generator
> >
> > Little random password generator which generates a random
> > password which is strong, safe and secure.
>
> pwgen already exists.
>

And gpw for pronaunceable passwords. If it did not add anything new
I would avoid to add a new password generator just because it is written
in Ruby instead of plain C.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-devel-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org