Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Stefano Zacchiroli

Default DPL teams survey summary summary

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 04:20:00PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> 6. I found that people from quite a number of teams responded to the
> survey, despite not being on my initial target list. That's not a
> surprise! However, a more comprehensive, canonical single list of
> teams would be very nice to have. Currently there are multiple
> incomplete team lists scattered all over the place; that's not very
> useful.
<snip>
> 8. Publicise more clearly the places where new people could help
> out. I'm commonly asked by people how they could get involved in
> Debian, or what tasks most urgently need help, and those are quite
> difficult things to answer. A more focussed set of web pages and/or
> wiki pages targeting these questions would be a great thing to
> have.

To both these issues, I find that http://wiki.debian.org/Teams is a good
solution. IMO it simply needs to be more advertised.

As it seems to go precisely in the direction you have in mind, any
specific reason for not mentioning it explicitly in your report mail?
(though it is never too late :-)) It would have been a good
advertisement for an initiative which has good chances to fulfill the
needs you pointed out.

Beside that, many thanks for your report/initiative! (from a lazy ass
which did not find the time to reply to your survey, shame on me)

Cheers.

--
Stefano Zacchiroli -*- PhD in Computer Science PostDoc @ Univ. Paris 7
I'm still an SGML person,this newfangled / All one has to do is hit the

Old 07-08-2008, 11:13 AM
"Per Andersson"

On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Steve McIntyre <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> 8. Publicise more clearly the places where new people could help
> out. I'm commonly asked by people how they could get involved in
> Debian, or what tasks most urgently need help, and those are quite
> difficult things to answer. A more focussed set of web pages and/or
> wiki pages targeting these questions would be a great thing to
> have.

A new usertag was introduced into the BTS a while ago, the
gift tag. [0] [1] Being a newbie in Debian, the BTS and
contributing to the free software community I thought this
was a great idea. It seems that the gift tag isn't used that
much though [2]. It would be great if the gift tag gained
popularity.

There exists pages on w.d.o that targets how to get started
with help out. [3] [4] Perhaps there is a need for a more
clean path to finding out how to get started, a start would be
to put links on the frontpage of w.d.o and [5] to get directly
to the help guide [4]. As it is now, the path there is quite
long and IMHO you need to know what you are looking for.

--
Per Andersson <avtobiff@gmail.com>

[0] http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag
[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/12/msg00679.html
[2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org;tag=gift
[3] http://debian.org/devel/join/
[4] http://wiki.debian.org/HelpDebian
[5] http://debian.org/devel/

Old 07-11-2008, 07:22 PM
gregor herrmann

On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 16:20:00 +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> As you may remember, back before I started the DPL job I promised to
> run a survey.

Thanks for your work!

> 2. On the flip side of that, I'd also like to ask the members of the
> teams that are acknowledged to perform well to help us with ideas
> for good practices to follow. Obviously, some working methods may
> not transfer well from team to team as they face different
> problems. But it's also clear that some methods *will* work well in
> a wider context, and it would be nice to see them tried.

Just a short note on this point:

At DebConf8 there will be a BOF about "Best practises in
team-maintaining packages" whichs aims at exchanging experiences
between packaging teams and learning from each other.

Attending this BOF (or reading the results afterwards) might be helpful
for those interested in getting ideas from other teams.

Cheers,
gregor

--
.'`. http://info.comodo.priv.at/ | gpg key ID: 0x00F3CFE4
: :' : debian gnu/linux user, admin & developer - http://www.debian.org/

Old 07-12-2008, 01:25 AM
"s. keeling"

Per Andersson <avtobiff@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jun 29, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Steve McIntyre <leader@debian.org> wrote:
> > 8. Publicise more clearly the places where new people could help
> > out. I'm commonly asked by people how they could get involved in
> > Debian, or what tasks most urgently need help, and those are quite
> > difficult things to answer. A more focussed set of web pages and/or
> > wiki pages targeting these questions would be a great thing to
> > have.
>
> A new usertag was introduced into the BTS a while ago, the
> gift tag. [0] [1] Being a newbie in Debian, the BTS and
> contributing to the free software community I thought this
> was a great idea. It seems that the gift tag isn't used that
> much though [2]. It would be great if the gift tag gained
> popularity.
>
> There exists pages on w.d.o that targets how to get started
> with help out. [3] [4] Perhaps there is a need for a more
> clean path to finding out how to get started, a start would be
> to put links on the frontpage of w.d.o and [5] to get directly
> to the help guide [4]. As it is now, the path there is quite
> long and IMHO you need to know what you are looking for.
>
> [0] http://wiki.debian.org/qa.debian.org/GiftTag
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2007/12/msg00679.html
> [2] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?users=debian-qa@lists.debian.org;tag=gift
> [3] http://debian.org/devel/join/
> [4] http://wiki.debian.org/HelpDebian
> [5] http://debian.org/devel/

Excellent info, thanks. [4] is very useful.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
Scott

Steve McIntyre spake thusly:

> Many of our developers are used to strong discussions and technical
> arguments in the course of Debian and Free Software development, but I
> was *shocked* to hear that one of our community has been the target of
> death threats as a thank you for her work. I'm horrified to hear about
> such a nasty thing happening; please let me know ASAP if any such thing
> happens again in the future and I'll do my level best to help track down
> and deal with the perpetrators.

Has anybody found out who this pond scum is?

Old 07-23-2008, 02:11 AM
Vid.A

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:02 AM, Scott <geekboy@angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:
> Steve McIntyre spake thusly:
>>
>> Many of our developers are used to strong discussions and technical
>> arguments in the course of Debian and Free Software development, but I
>> was *shocked* to hear that one of our community has been the target of
>> death threats as a thank you for her work. I'm horrified to hear about
>> such a nasty thing happening; please let me know ASAP if any such thing
>> happens again in the future and I'll do my level best to help track down
>> and deal with the perpetrators.
>

> Has anybody found out who this pond scum is?

http://lists.debian.org/debian-women/2005/07/msg00028.html

IIRC, he was removed from the list,after which he had taken to writing
death threats offlist, to a lot of women from DW but his account was
cancelled by yahoo after we complained.

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||