Old 11-20-2007, 05:07 AM
Manoj Srivastava

Default MTA comparison (postfix, exim4, ...)

On Sat, 17 Nov 2007 01:44:51 +0900, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> said:

> Just to be sure... I am running postfix now just to find out the same
> questions you have...

> I see no practical reason to run postfix on desktop machine now except
> if postfix is something you are very familiar with... As you mght
> have expected, Manoj who is one of the best DD and wants to package
> everything without debhelper seems to be running sendmail on his
> desktop machine. I am not taking this data to say we should follow
> him. This data was meant to give some objective status view.

While I am flattered (and somewhat embarrassed) by the
accolade, I strongly agree with the assessment that I am far from the
typical user, and I should very likely not be emulated in this area.

I run sendmail since I have long paid my dues in sendmail.cf;
and since sendmail can do everything I ever want an MTA to do, this
level of comfort has come from long hours of blood and sweat and
tears, and not everyone can spend the time required to learn the
intricacies of sendmail's config language.

I do think, however, that the sentiment that sendmail is much
worse for security might be something that needs to be reviewd; today's
sendmail is not the sendmail of yore. It has undergone a refactoring,
and now implements privilege separation (which is something that
postfix pioneered).

manoj
--
A lost ounce of gold may be found, a lost moment of time never.
1024D/BF24424C print 4966 F272 D093 B493 410B 924B 21BA DABB BF24 424C

Old 11-20-2007, 05:41 AM
Miles Bader

Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> writes:
> For me, exim4 is better:
> * less memory on run time
> * mailname is implimented as expected by the policy.

Postfix has a reputation for being faster and more secure than exim.

Why is it worth worrying about, though? Are the difference between exim
and postfix really great enough to matter for typical use?!?

[If you're a high-volume mail site, of course, you will care about the
difference, but then you should be doing your own analysis...]

-MIles
--
My books focus on timeless truths. -- Donald Knuth

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 AM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007, Miles Bader wrote:
> Why is it worth worrying about, though? Are the difference between exim
> and postfix really great enough to matter for typical use?!?

No, they are not. And I speak this as a Postfix user (I replace exim with
postfix in every box I use or admin, and all central MTAs I admin are
postfix).

Most users only need a proper forwarding MTA, and Debian already made it
sane to setup such a thing with either postfix or exim a long time ago.

> [If you're a high-volume mail site, of course, you will care about the
> difference, but then you should be doing your own analysis...]

Indeed. Exim is supposed to be better (faster or less resource-intensive)
than postfix for some workloads, and obviously the inverse would also be
true.

But the old sysadmin maximum of "all things being nearly the same, do use
what you know best how to operate and configure" is what really should drive
one to choose between exim and postfix (and apparently, sendmail), IMO.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 11-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Florian Weimer

* Miles Bader:

> Postfix has a reputation for being faster and more secure than exim.

Nowadays, the Postfix code base is larger than the Exim code base.

> Why is it worth worrying about, though? Are the difference between exim
> and postfix really great enough to matter for typical use?!?

"/usr/sbin/exim4 -bt" or even "/usr/sbin/exim4 -d+all -bt" can be a real
lifesaver if need to figure out what's going on. Older versions of
Postfix lacked -bt support (I just had a brief encounter with 2.0 on a
customer machine *shivers*), partly due to its non-monolithic design.
If this has improved (and the documentation seems to suggest that, but I
couldn't test it yet), I see no pratical problems with using Postfix
instead of Exim in most environments--and vice versa, of course.

Personally, what made me stick to Exim so far is the ability to
configure retry behavior on a per-domain basis. One of my mail servers
delivers mail to some hosts which a reachable only intermittently, and
I've set a lower retry value for these domains. With Postfix, I'd have
to configure ETRN on the receivers instead, I guess. But this kind of
setup is somewhat unusual.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:10 PM

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:
> Personally, what made me stick to Exim so far is the ability to
> configure retry behavior on a per-domain basis. One of my mail servers

Postfix does that too. You direct the domains to a different transport, and
setup that transport with whichever parameters you want.

Henrique Holschuh

Old 11-23-2007, 08:28 PM
Florian Weimer

* Henrique de Moraes Holschuh:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> Personally, what made me stick to Exim so far is the ability to
>> configure retry behavior on a per-domain basis. One of my mail servers
>
> Postfix does that too. You direct the domains to a different transport, and
> setup that transport with whichever parameters you want.

I don't think you can specify a transport-specific retry time. Retry
times are global, and there's just one queue manager. A specific
configuration example would be helpful.

Old 11-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Florian Weimer wrote:
> >> Personally, what made me stick to Exim so far is the ability to
> >> configure retry behavior on a per-domain basis. One of my mail servers
> >
> > Postfix does that too. You direct the domains to a different transport, and
> > setup that transport with whichever parameters you want.
>
> I don't think you can specify a transport-specific retry time. Retry
> times are global, and there's just one queue manager. A specific
> configuration example would be helpful.

Oops, you're correct. What you can do is: subscribe the relevant domains to
the fast flush service, and using a crontab, flush the domains you want
using postqueue -s.

It is almost the same as an ETRN, as it was said previously in this thread.
My bad.

Henrique Holschuh