Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM
Daniel Burrows

Default What to do when the LaTeX sources are missing, but an XML equivalent was rewritten from scratch ?

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:52:21PM +0100, Norbert Preining <preining@logic.at> was heard to say:
> On Mo, 19 Nov 2007, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > If the author uses the pdf, it's the pdf. If the author uses the tex,
>
> Umpf, how do you proof/ensure that the source of a pdf is the pdf?
> I hope you don't trust the "PDF Producer" field and similar?

In general, we trust members of Debian to not deliberately subvert
Debian's processes and procedures.

Daniel

Old 11-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Don Armstrong

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, Charles Plessy wrote:
> - There is no difference between a file for which the original
> author never publically published intermediate steps in its
> creation, and a file for wihch an intermediate has removed source
> code or formatting instructions that have been published earlier.

Correct. Whether source is published or not doesn't obviate DFSG 2.

> Somebody contributed me a latex file which is not the upstream one,
> but which contains the information from the html documentation.
> Would this file make the package acceptable for Debian ? Would the
> file need to be in the tarball, or shipping it in the .diff.gz would
> be sufficient?

Shipping that file in the diff.gz (or the orig.tar.gz, since you're
already repacking it) would be ok. It would also be ideal to
distribute the documentation in pdf, tex, and html built from that tex
file as well in the main package(s), assuming whoever contributed it
to you has also licensed it appropriately. The sourceless
documentation can then be distributed in non-free for anyone who wants
to look at it.

Don Armstrong

--
It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be wrong
-- Chris Torek

http://www.donarmstrong.com http://rzlab.ucr.edu

Old 11-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Frank Küster

Don Armstrong <don <at> debian.org> writes:

> > > Thats different to "relies on not-available fonts".
> > > Relies == cant be build without them.
> >
> > Recreating the exact same pdf (modulo creation date etc) relies on these
> > fonts. Recreating the same document with different fonts, and thus with
> > different layout and appearance is possible.
>
> Then why distribute the original PDFs at all in that case?

Because the purpose of the document is to show the differences between several
(free as well as non-free) fonts, and help the user make a choice.

> Just
> distribute the recreations. You're going to have to distribute them at
> some point if bugs in the documentation are filed, so you might as
> well just start distributing them.

Many packages have enough important bugs, plus a good relation to a quickly
reacting upstream, that this won't happen. You fix the important bugs in Debian
revisions, but wait for documentation patches to come in with a new upstream
version.

Regards, Frank