Old 05-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Mikhail Kolesnik

Default ports/opt - mod_php: update to 5.2.6, new PHP related ports

Hello, Juergen.

On Wed, 7 May 2008 22:01:18 +0200
Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li> wrote:

> commit c784eb28da9464316e5b92be4bc90e86be054a10
> Author: Juergen Daubert <jue@jue.li>
> Date: Wed May 7 20:29:16 2008 +0200
>
> [notify] mod_php: update to 5.2.6, new PHP related ports"

Thanks a lot for your work!

> as of version 5.2.6 mod_php is part of a collection of PHP ports.
>
> For now we have 4 ports:
> - php: the PHP CLI interpreter plus some extension modules and
> support stuff like include-files
> - php-fcgi: CGI/FastCGI version of the interpreter with start
> script
> - mod_php: DSO module for apache
> - php-mysql: MySQL module as an example how to build extensions
> which are depending on external libraries

I've managed to package (and put to contrib) a few commonly used
extensions: bcmath, ftp, gettext, gd, mbstring and postgresql.

It should be possible to get rid of many duplicating (private) php
ports. It's better to make an extension ports instead of maintaining
the same php with different 'configure' arguments.

> Remarks:
> - Configuration files are now in /etc/php and /etc/php/conf.d.
> The later is scanned for *.ini files, see php-mysql for an
> example.
> - php-fcgi and mod_php do not depend on php, so we have very
> slim ports if only the default extensions are needed. Both
> work, of course, together with php-mysql or other extensions
> like that.

To make it clear: you obviously need to install one of php, mod_php or
php-fcgi to use any php-foo extension. This is not reflected in
'Depends on' header and using 'prt-get.aliases' for this seems to be an
overkill.

> Attention:
> - mod_php not longer provides a php.ini, so your old /etc/php.ini
> will be removed if you upgrade mod_php. If you have modified
> php.ini make backup of it!

User is supposed to copy php.ini-dist or php.ini-recommended to
php.ini. But be aware that these files contain 'extension_dir = "./"',
which should be changed to '/usr/lib/php/extensions'. I suggest to do
this like:

ln -s /etc/php/php.ini-recommended /etc/php/php.ini
echo 'extension_dir = "/usr/lib/php/extensions"' >> /etc/php/conf.d/local_settings.ini

This way you can preserve some local settings during php updates
without involving rejmerge(8).

--
Mikhail Kolesnik
ICQ: 260259143

Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Juergen Daubert

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:36:29PM +0300, Mikhail Kolesnik wrote:
> Hello, Juergen.

Hello Mikhail,

[...]
> I've managed to package (and put to contrib) a few commonly used
> extensions: bcmath, ftp, gettext, gd, mbstring and postgresql.

Many thanks for your contribution.

[...]
> User is supposed to copy php.ini-dist or php.ini-recommended to
> php.ini. But be aware that these files contain 'extension_dir = "./"',
> which should be changed to '/usr/lib/php/extensions'. I suggest to do
> this like:
>
> ln -s /etc/php/php.ini-recommended /etc/php/php.ini

I intentionally didn't do that. Both mod_php and php-fcgi are full
functional without php (the port), but they don't install any php.ini.
In that case php use internal defaults, which are the same as the ones
in php.ini-dist, at least almost, see below. So, if we follow your
suggestion, we would have a different behaviour whether the port php
is installed or not.
Please note, installing mod_php and php-mysql gives you exact the same
as with the "old" mod_php package, which installs php.ini-dist as
php.ini.

> echo 'extension_dir = "/usr/lib/php/extensions"' >> /etc/php/conf.d/local_settings.ini

IMO, the extension_dir default is a bug, but I'd fix that with a sed
line in the Pkgfile.

Thanks and best regards
Juergen

BTW, seems that the new php stuff is far more flexible now, but more
complicated to understand how it works as well. Might be helpful to
have a wiki page with some tips? Volunteers?

--
Juergen Daubert | mailto:jue@jue.li
Korb, Germany | http://jue.li/crux