Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Danny Rawlins

Default Python eggs

I would like to raise a discussion and a recommendation on Python eggs,
to remove or keep.

For those that don't know Python eggs is managed by 'setuptools'. Python
eggs are another installation method smiler to Ruby gems, Python egg
files are a meta file of information on what to install and what
dependences each egg has. As I see it this way, I much prefer to have
pkgutils handle all programs installed on my system, and raising the
point of removing '*.egg-info' (egg meta data) files. Currently three
ports remove the egg files: 'pycrypto', 'twisted' and 'mysql-python'.

Removing egg files would break Python using it's meta data but this wont
matter as pkgutils is handling this already in it's dependencys. Those
that like using Python eggs would install there Python program eggs and
not use pkgutils at all so they should be OK with this.

I would like your opinion on this change.

Regards,
Danny Rawlins
<Romster>

Old 05-09-2008, 03:12 PM
Brett Goulder

On Thu, 08 May 2008 21:12:30 +1000
Danny Rawlins wrote:

> I would like to raise a discussion and a recommendation on Python
> eggs, to remove or keep.
>
> For those that don't know Python eggs is managed by 'setuptools'.
> Python eggs are another installation method smiler to Ruby gems,
> Python egg files are a meta file of information on what to install
> and what dependences each egg has. As I see it this way, I much
> prefer to have pkgutils handle all programs installed on my system,
> and raising the point of removing '*.egg-info' (egg meta data) files.
> Currently three ports remove the egg files: 'pycrypto', 'twisted' and
> 'mysql-python'.
>
> Removing egg files would break Python using it's meta data but this
> wont matter as pkgutils is handling this already in it's dependencys.
> Those that like using Python eggs would install there Python program
> eggs and not use pkgutils at all so they should be OK with this.
>
> I would like your opinion on this change.

Seems to keep with removing cruft from packages, I'd say go for it.

--
~predatorfreak
GnuPG Public key: http://pred.dcaf-security.org/dcafsec-pub-gpgkey.asc