Old 08-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Murali Bharadwaj

Default Requesting help on Crux

Hi,

I tried installing recently released 2.8 rc but ran into issues with kernel panics and not able to boot into the system. Eventually i decided to use 2.7.1 and everything works perfectly fine so far w.r.t installation, login etc. However i've few questions that i'm looking for some help on and it would be great if anyone can guide me in resolving those -

1. I got openbox installed but wanted to install xfce actually. I added xfce in the same way as xorg, core in prt-get.conf but it didn't update the xfce collection. As per http://crux.nu/portdb/ I could see xfce repo there but not sure why it didn't work. I even tried command line consulting the man page/online docs but those didn't work as well. Not sure where i'm going wrong.

2. I've an external monitor that got detected automatically in an Arch install in another partition. I had xfce there and there's a Display option which detects the new monitor where i can choose the appropriate resolution. However i couldn't see anything similar in openbox so i've a default resolution which doesn't work too well. Any way to select my new monitor? While compiling the kernel i seem to have compiled external device support natively so hoped to use the monitor.

3. Can i upgrade to 2.8 from my existing 2.7.1 installation? If so, can you please let me know the steps for that or should i wait until RC goes gold thereby all existing issues can be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

-Murali.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
joe M

Hello Murali,

I used dual monitor setup but with xmonad and no display manager/login
manager. I just run startx from the /etc/inittab.

Check the arch tutorials on dual monitor setup.

Let me know if you want my setup.

this is my xorg.conf

cat X11/xorg.conf
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the /etc/X11/xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man /etc/X11/xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
# sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

# used this http://www.ird.nc/UR65/Ganachaud/Configfiles/enabling-xinerama-in-ubuntu.html
# to setup the video card
# got this from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1773624

Section "InputClass"
identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
Driver "evdev"
MatchProduct "Razer|BlackWidow"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbVariant" "dvorak"
Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
Endsection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "DefaultServerLayout" "default"
Option "AutoAddDevices" "true"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
identifier "default"
Screen 0 "PrimaryScreen"
Endsection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Radeon HD5450 PCIE video card"

Driver "radeon"
# below option for the evergreen bug in dmesg
# which is fixed in 3.5.rc5 kernel release
# Option "ColorTiling2D" "off"

Option "Monitor-HDMI-0" "unconnected"
Option "Monitor-DVI-0" "Acer AL2223W"
Option "Monitor-VGA-0" "Acer AL1912"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Acer AL2223W"
# Option "PreferredMode" "1680x1050"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Acer AL1912"
# Option "PreferredMode" "1280x1024"
Option "LeftOf" "Acer AL2223W"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "unconnected"
Option "Ignore" "true"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "PrimaryScreen"
Device "Radeon HD5450 PCIE video card"
Monitor "Acer AL2223W"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1680x1050"
# See the paragraph on gentoo-wiki for calculating
# the virtual screen resolution.
# In this example, X == 1280+1280 and Y == 1024
#Virtual 2960 2074
EndSubSection
EndSection

extract from /etc/inittab
c1:2:respawn:/sbin/agetty --autologin joe --host mymachine --8bits
--keep-baud 38400 tty1 linux

end of my zprofile:
# cleanup any old serverauth files lying around
# [ "`tty`" = "/dev/tty1" ] && /usr/bin/startx -- -nolisten tcp
>>/var/log/startx.log 2>&1
if [[ "$(tty)" == "/dev/tty1" && "$(hostname)" == "master" ]] ; then
find /home/j -maxdepth 1 -type f -iname ".serverauth.*" -exec rm {} ;
/usr/bin/startx -- -nolisten tcp >>/var/log/startx.log 2>&1
fi

Thanks
Joe