-   -   Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/crux/693319-unable-boot-into-2-8-rc0.html)

Murali Bharadwaj 08-12-2012 09:31 PM

Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0

Hi,
I downloaded the 2.8 iso and went about installing it. Everything went through fine including configuring the 3.4.7 kernel (didn't give any error). I even copied bzImage to boot along with System.map. However on trying to boot into Crux i got kernel panic saying "VFS: Unable to mount root, couldn't find valid ramdisk image", can't remember the exact error message but it should be quite similar to what i mentioned here.
Can you please tell what could have gone wrong? There was a 3.4.7 patch file, i didnt do anything with that, could that be the reason or did i miss something else?
The fact i didn't get any error during install but the OS not booting is bothering me a lot.
Can someone please
help?
Thanks.___________________________________________ ____
CRUX mailing list
CRUX@lists.crux.nu

joe M 08-12-2012 09:35 PM

Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0

must be missing some drivers in the kernel configuration. filesystem
drivers or IDE drivers, etc.

Check on #crux on freenode. there are some very knowledgeable folks on it.

Fredrik Rinnestam 08-12-2012 09:40 PM

Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 02:31:23PM -0700, Murali Bharadwaj wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the 2.8 iso and went about installing it. Everything went through fine including configuring the 3.4.7 kernel (didn't give any error). I even copied bzImage to boot along with System.map. However on trying to boot into Crux i got kernel panic saying "VFS: Unable to mount root, couldn't find valid ramdisk image", can't remember the exact error message but it should be quite similar to what i mentioned here.
>
> Can you please tell what could have gone wrong? There was a 3.4.7 patch file, i didnt do anything with that, could that be the reason or did i miss something else?
>
> The fact i didn't get any error during install but the OS not booting is bothering me a lot.
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> Thanks.

You probably forgot something in the kernel config. Make sure you enable
everything you need to mount the root fs (and not as modules, catch 22)

What has changed since the kernel included on the 2.7 iso is the need
for:

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y
CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

It's required by the udev version that is shipped on rc0.
Other common "gotchas" are SCSI-disk support, filesystem and your
ide/sata/scsi controller. Remember that these devices must be built into
the kernel (not as modules) unless you run a initrd.

If you still have problems, please post your kernel config so we can
have a look at it.

--

Fredrik Rinnestam

Murali Bharadwaj 08-12-2012 10:36 PM

Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0

Ok thanks for the prompt reply. Yes i was searching online when i saw some help related to what you've suggested. So i'm going to try one more time and enable everything this time ( i did last time as well but i could be wrong ). Will post kernel config if it fails again.
regards,murali.

Danny Rawlins 08-13-2012 02:44 AM

Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0

On 13/08/12 08:36, Murali Bharadwaj

wrote:

> Hi,

> I downloaded the 2.8 iso and went about installing it.
Everything went through fine including configuring the 3.4.7
kernel (didn't give any error). I even copied bzImage to
boot along with System.map. However on trying to boot into
Crux i got kernel panic saying "VFS: Unable to mount root,
couldn't find valid ramdisk image", can't remember the exact
error message but it should be quite similar to what i
mentioned here.

> Can you please tell what could have gone wrong? There
was a 3.4.7 patch file, i didnt do anything with that, could
that be the reason or did i miss something else?

> The fact i didn't get any error during install but the
OS not booting is bothering me a lot.

> Can someone please help?

> Thanks.

You probably forgot something in the kernel config. Make
sure you enable

everything you need to mount the root fs (and not as
modules, catch 22)

What has changed since the kernel included on the 2.7 iso is
the need

for:

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y

CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT=y

It's required by the udev version that is shipped on rc0.

Other common "gotchas" are SCSI-disk support, filesystem and
your

ide/sata/scsi controller. Remember that these devices must
be built into

the kernel (not as modules) unless you run a initrd.

If you still have problems, please post your kernel config
so we can

have a look at it.

--

Fredrik Rinnestam

and lspci -k output too.

Murali Bharadwaj 08-13-2012 11:39 PM

Unable to boot into 2.8.rc0

Hi,

I was able to get past the kernel panic error that i was getting earlier. However this time when i rebooted into Crux for the first time after installation I got the error saying "root filesystem: no such file or directory" and it booted me into a maintenance mode asking me to change read-only file system to rw. I did that and it rebooted itself but gave the same errors again.

Basically I was getting the same errors as listed in this url - https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=117733

As per one user who was able to get around the issue by downgrading udev I couldn't do that myself, as i was still in maintenance mode in read-only fs.

Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

thanks,
murali.

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 12:44:42 +1000
From: d.rawlins@datafast.net.au